HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Think I'll hunt from my stoop... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334421-think-ill-hunt-my-stoop.html)

WI Bow Hunter 11-17-2010 08:57 PM

Think I'll hunt from my stoop...

Well I live in town, not a real busy area but no real decently wooded areas in probably 1/2 - 1 mile from me. There is a railroad track that has some thick brush that runs through the neighbor hood.

Well tonight the wifey wanted some stuff from the gas station and after some whining I finally gave in... so I get in her car pull out and start heading down the road.

I know that there are some deer in our area so when I see one jump out and start running away from me in the road it's not really a shock.. but what was was the bone on his head.

I was so dumbfounded trying to hit my high beams while watching the biggest buck I've ever seen in my life run away from me right down the road from my house I kept hitting the windshield wipers... finally once I got them on and got a glimps of him broadside, he looked to be at least 10, but I believe he was a 12, possibly more.

With rifle season right around the corner... I think I'll set up my pop up blind right in my front yard Lol! :fighting0007:

TeamWiscoUNIT61 11-17-2010 09:08 PM

lol! always so exciting when your driving down the road and you see a monster. it just gives you confidence for the hunt the following morning. Me and a buddy were driving into camp last year (the nearest town is 25 miles in either direction from our place) and its normal that all along the road the deer are out in the fields close to the road. We had been slowing down frequently to watch bucks. Even driving at about 45 I could see a deer on the side that was an absolute GIANT.. were talking 180"+ deer. I jammed on the brakes so hard and pritnear put my truck in the ditch i was so revved up. I watched him for a few minutes chasing 2 does. that was pretty awesome. Go get that 12'er!!

WI Bow Hunter 11-17-2010 09:21 PM

I wish man, we're in town... no hunting here.

ADVWannabee 11-18-2010 03:16 AM

I do hunt from my house. I live in the country and I am the only house in what is supposed to be a small neighborhood. I am surrounded by woods and fields and that is where I do most of my hunting. I almost shot a deer from my front door but decided to slip out the back door and up beside the house. Did the same for a turkey. Not very sporting, but I take the opportunity if it presents itself. I consider my house to be an expensive blind. ;)

jrbsr 11-18-2010 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by WI Bow Hunter (Post 3724267)
I wish man, we're in town... no hunting here.

Check the regulations, some times its ok to use a bow.
I watch DeerCityUSA hunting show.
They go around in settings like that, and get some monster bucks.

JMHO

Good Luck.

jrbsr

WI Bow Hunter 11-18-2010 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by jrbsr (Post 3724330)
Check the regulations, some times its ok to use a bow.
I watch DeerCityUSA hunting show.
They go around in settings like that, and get some monster bucks.

JMHO

Good Luck.

jrbsr

Hmmm I don't think that they have an urban hunt here in Schofield I know they have/had one in Tomahawk but maybe I'll check into it.

mac266 11-19-2010 04:17 AM

The east coast has implemented some urban archery seasons because of the high urban deer populations. You should push some of your legislators to implement such a season.