HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Virginia 8 point (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334420-virginia-8-point.html)

justinbaki 11-17-2010 07:19 PM

Virginia 8 point

1 Attachment(s)
He is not one to put on the wall, but it was a fun hunt.

We got into the woods at about 2:30pm. I was barely settled in the stand when I saw a rack moving through the thick woods in front of me. He took his time coming out, but he eventually came out to check a scrape in a small clearing directly in front of my stand. He was not quite broadside, but I could see enough shoulder to take a shot. With the crosshairs right behind the shoulder I let the hammer drop. He ran across the clearing in front of me and into some thick scrub. I thought I heard him fall but I wasn't sure, so I gave him some time.

When I climbed down, I could not find any blood at all. My heart sank as I looked closer and still could not find any blood. I called in a hunting buddy to help me look, and after a few minutes he found the smallest speck of blood on a blade of grass. I assumed I had made a very poor shot with as little blood as we were seeing. Like a bloodhound, he followed a very small blood trail to the treeline near where I lost sight of the deer. 10 yards into the brush, we found the deer. The shot was lethal and clean, right behind the shoulder through both lungs.

He only made it about 35 yards from where I shot, but he did not bleed at all for the first 25 yards. The scrub he ran into was so thick it was tough to find him. I was thrown by the lack of blood, so I was pumped when we found him.

llpaintball 11-17-2010 07:21 PM

what part of northern virginia are you from?

jrbsr 11-18-2010 04:40 AM

Congratulations on a nice buck.

Ohboy 11-18-2010 04:54 AM

cool looking buck, congrats!

mitchmtm1 11-18-2010 04:57 AM

Congrats.

I have had that very same thing happen to me more than once. Deer sometimes go a bit before the bleeding gets going good. Now I make sure that I note where I last saw the deer run (burn it into my memory) Just in case there is no blood at the point of impact.

Mitch

justinbaki 11-18-2010 05:03 AM

llpaintball,

I am near dulles airport.

Mitch -

This is only my second deer that didn't drop in its tracks or drop where I could see it from the stand. I had a doe last week (we have an earn a buck program in my county) that ended in a long track job. Other than these two deer, they normally drop dead when I use my rifle. One that I shot with a pistol went about 20 yards.

If I didn't have my friend help me, I don't know that I would have found the blood trail. We would have found the deer eventually because he was so close, but I didn't want to walk in the thick stuff and disturb the beds there unless I was sure I had hit something.

.243coyote 11-18-2010 08:19 AM

Nice deer! way to go