Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Too many spikes?

Old 11-17-2010, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default Too many spikes?

OK, so ive seen ALOT of spikes so far in bow season....does his mean anything, i cant help but to think that it could be a bad thing? I havent seen any big bucks yet.

Any ideas?
Old 11-17-2010, 07:49 PM
Fork Horn

Eh. God's way of saving a doe and filling your freezer?
Old 11-17-2010, 08:01 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR
Eh. God's way of saving a doe and filling your freezer?

Against the club rules, 7 point or better rule...
Old 11-17-2010, 08:10 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bloodsaw
Against the club rules, 7 point or better rule...
I don't like the point rule. I like the score rule better, although it's hard to judge those borderline bucks in the field... The point rule just leaves too much room for exceptions. You tellin' me you would get in trouble for shooting this deer?

Old 11-17-2010, 08:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the freezer rule better. If it's legal, it fills the rules nicely.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Bloodsaw
OK, so ive seen ALOT of spikes so far in bow season....does his mean anything, i cant help but to think that it could be a bad thing? I havent seen any big bucks yet.

Any ideas?
After a few years the spikes of today, become big bucks of tomorrow.
There will be bigger bucks comming around, and chasing the spikes away.
You will see.
Good Luck getting one.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:00 AM
Spike

My lease last year had spikes on it everywhere, this year everyone is taking the biggest bucks ever on the same property... That's just hunting, ya never know.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

If all the spikes are out lookin, then the big boys will soon come around. I hunt with a club that has a 3 on one side rule. Yeah, like your gonna take a 4 pointer. Most of us just follow the 6 or better rule, and it's the landowners rule not to shoot doe, so it's pretty easy for us. All the guys have a place they know of to knock down a doe on other propertys, so they don't go without meat. Since we put the restrictions on 5-6 years ago, we're getting around 12 deer every year, but they are noticeably bigger racks. From what we've seen so far, should be a great year if the weather cooperates. Good Luck.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Maddog10
I don't like the point rule. I like the score rule better, although it's hard to judge those borderline bucks in the field... The point rule just leaves too much room for exceptions. You tellin' me you would get in trouble for shooting this deer?

Hes supposed to be a 8 point though, but if he was a borderline 8 point with two broken points, yes people would get kinda mad, him being that size tho... kinda different...
and YES the point rule does leave leave alot of room for error, could be a tny 8 or 10 point, but we also use common sense, and we have one " mess up " buck so i could kill a spike and call it a mess up, but whats the point ?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by jrbsr
After a few years the spikes of today, become big bucks of tomorrow.
There will be bigger bucks comming around, and chasing the spikes away.
You will see.
Good Luck getting one.

Not the case, every year this property is know for having ALOT of spikes
we do see all ranges of bucks every year also, but once u get past spikes, they thin out ALOT.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.