Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Too many spikes?

Old 11-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Fork Horn

First off, it sounds like you could use some game cameras out there. Then you'll know if all you have are spikes. The big guys may just be nocturnal or in thicker cover. I believe trail cams get more hunters to pass on small bucks more than anything else. Knowing what's out there raises the bar for me. The point rule is completely ignorant! Many bucks with good potential can have 7 or more points by their second year, but can be pencil thin or not as wide. Does someone actually think shooting them is going to help grow big racks? You should also be allowed to take out bad genetics. That doesn't mean spikes, but say deer with funky racks or no brow tines. Hopefully whoever is making your club's rules will get their head out of the sand.

Mike
Old 11-19-2010, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

NY has antler restrictions in some areas.
It does make for more trophy bucks, which is nice.

3" & 3 points on one side.

The rule does not apply to kids under 16.
Old 11-19-2010, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

IMO could be two things...

1. not a good crop this year for forage...less food, weaker deer, etc...

2. too many deer, not enough food to go around, take some does!

My rule of thumb is for every buck, take a doe...
Old 11-19-2010, 07:39 AM
Spike

Usually big bucks are more timid and less likely to be in places where they can be seen. Rut excluded of course. The timid buttons and spikes will grow year by year without seeing alot of hunters because they stay secluded, and steer clear of the unknown. Spikes that are not timid will stumble past more hunters and fill freezers.
Old 11-19-2010, 12:55 PM
Fork Horn

all this talk about management and genetics and yet no one has mentioned anything about age.
Old 11-19-2010, 03:08 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sussexhunter
all this talk about management and genetics and yet no one has mentioned anything about age.
True. I figured that was a given, but still should've mentioned it. Young bucks are typically not as wary and I have also found they will often hang together, even during the rut.