HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Whats your ratio of number of hunts to number of kills (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334416-whats-your-ratio-number-hunts-number-kills.html)

Tacswa3 11-17-2010 06:45 PM

Whats your ratio of number of hunts to number of kills

Hey all......new member here. Lurked for a few weeks prior to joining. Long time hunter and just took up bow hunting this year.

I've been out about a dozen times so far with 0 kills. Tried a couple days of early muzzle loader season but most of my hunts this year have been with my Bow. I'm seeing deer just about every outing, just not in Bow range :bash: Shotgun season starts Thanksgiving weekend..should put a slug in a few.

How many times have you been out this season vs. number of deer kills?

gunther89 11-17-2010 06:52 PM

I must have been out at least 30 times and have only harvested 1 doe so far.

monkeyman2269 11-17-2010 06:55 PM

been out every day so whatever nys bow season is and shot a 6 but couldent recover seen proll 120 deer this season prolly 7 in bow range no shots tho

countertop 11-17-2010 07:01 PM

I've been out - with gun and serious about killing - 3 times. Have killed two deer (two on the same day - let an 8 pointer live till another year as well that day). Spooked a couple of does heading out another day, and then let a 6 pointer go.

Tacswa3 11-17-2010 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by countertop (Post 3724206)
I've been out - with gun and serious about killing - 3 times. Have killed two deer (two on the same day - let an 8 pointer live till another year as well that day). Spooked a couple of does heading out another day, and then let a 6 pointer go.

2 deer in 3 hunts.... Not bad at all bro.

IOWABUCKHUNTR 11-17-2010 07:48 PM

Been out almost everyday, twice a day since October 1st. Shot at a 160 class October 19, but was unable to recover him (neighbor found him; I just got the head 3 days ago). Smacked down a management 120 class in the high wind week a couple weeks ago. Passed on more deer than many even see in any given year, most within bow range, at least 200+ shots this bow season alone.

Hunt to kill ratio: Probably close to 85 hunts = 2 dead deer.

sconnyhunter 11-17-2010 08:04 PM

I think the better question is how many years have we hunted versus how many deer we have killed.
I have hunted now for 20 years this year. I have recorded exactly 5 kills. It's the nature of hunting. You don't kill a deer every year, and I for one am good with it.

Maddog10 11-17-2010 08:40 PM

I harvest just one deer a season usually, probably about 20-25 hunts.

skeeter 7MM 11-17-2010 09:59 PM

Typically I'll hunt deer 30+ times in a given year and if the stars line up I may harvest 2. This year I harvested a doe the first evening sit with the bow way back in sept and haven't released or pulled on one since. Par for the course I rarily tag out before the end of november, selective with my either tag and don't like hunting season to end too soon! LOL

Hunter_59 11-18-2010 04:36 AM

Tacswa3, welcome to the site. You can gain a lot of valuable information here to help you in your hunting endeavors.
As per your question, I guess it would really matter which stage of hunting you are in at this point. I'm 50 years old and now enjoy the hunt more than the kill. I have turned into a "trophy" hunter and will pass on most deer within range. I have logged 35 hunts so far this year with 0 kills. In a good year I would end up with 2 kills. With 2 months to go in the Illinois season I should end up somewhere around 60-75 hunts. I was on stand on Oct. 1st, passed on a 170" buck standing broadside, head down feeding, at 45 yards. Just could not commit to taking a shot at that distance with a bow. I plan to be on stand on the very last day of the season.