Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Whats your ratio of number of hunts to number of kills >

Whats your ratio of number of hunts to number of kills

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Whats your ratio of number of hunts to number of kills

Old 11-18-2010, 04:45 AM
Fork Horn

2 deer in 3 hunts.... Not bad at all bro
Well, you need to put it in perspective. My goal is meat, then bones. But most days I just don't mind sitting in a stand watching and enjoying the outdoors come to life.

The two I killed in the same day was agricultural land in NC. It's in QDM and is teaming with them. No bucks under 3 unless they are culls. Take as many does as you want. I'll be hunting another spot like that this weekend, and will get somewhere from 6-10 deer this season to feed me and friends.

But by season end I'll have been out 30 times or so, most of those days not seeing anything or not having a shot or simply not taking a shot and just enjoying my time in a tree as an apex predator.
Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

The good news is that I'm just under %50. The bad news is that I haven't gotten to hunt that much.

Mitch
Old 11-18-2010, 04:59 AM
Spike

So far with bow only I'm runnin with about a 1 in 30 ratio. Gun starts Monday...the ratio should improve significantly. haha
Old 11-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Fork Horn

As a follow up, some days you get a shot on a 10 pointer but a heretofore unseen branch 35 yards in front of said buck gets in the way.

Today would be one of those days.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:00 AM
Spike

I have hunted in Maine for Eight full seasons and have yet to kill a deer.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:22 AM
Spike

Got two this year but it sure feels like a 1,000,000 to 1 !!!
Old 11-18-2010, 08:00 AM
Fork Horn

my first couple of years I did not get a deer, but now I get at least 1 per season.. with my record being 4 last year (2 with rifle, 1 with muzzleloader, 1 with bow). I guess my ratio is about 1 deer in 4 outings. Half the time I hunt public land so I am pretty happy with this ratio.

Got a big buck this year already.. so any more hunting will be with a bow.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:08 AM
Spike

Tascwa first of all Welcome. I too hunt in MD. I have been out prob 15 times this year and have tagged 2. A big doe durring muz and my first deer ever with a bow a 6 point. This is my second year bow hunting. I have had 3 other times I had deer with in range but I have spooked em each time. Bow hunting is tuff but what a thrill when you get ur first one. Good Luck to you. Just be patient it will happen.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

The second day I hunted back in 68, I got my first deer. My father said, "Don't let it get to your head kid, that crapola don't happen all the time" and he was right. I proceeded to get 1 every four years after that, 72,76,& 80. I called em my "Presidential Year Bucks" cause the kills all happened after the presidential election. Then in the 80's, got 1 every year except for 2. Kept going in the 90's till 97 when I first started bringing my son with me when he was 12. I brought that little s.o.b. every time we could, and wound up going dry for 9 freakin years. I busted back into it when he was abroad for college and told him I lost my bad luck charm and got one, and a 9 pt to boot. Since then, have gotten one each year, except for last yr. Have gone bone dry since I took up the bow 7 yrs ago, but having both seasons and being able to get out with my son, seeing bucks in close, is something I'll always remember. Besides, he's the better shot anyway, and he usually gets one every year, the little *&#@!!!
Old 11-18-2010, 09:01 AM
Spike

I generaly tag 5-8 a year. (crop permits) We live off the meat, so i shoot what ever walks my way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.