Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it just me or???

Old 11-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

Same here.. I'm a meat hunter first, but then, I won't shoot a fawn or a tiny little button buck. I just can't do it. Once they get to be a spike or bigger, then I need some meat for my freezer and they are fair game!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:08 PM
Typical Buck

Nicely put. I feel the same way, Alot of people think all about killing the BIGGEST buck, But what makes it worth it to me is spending time with my family and friends and sharing our past hunting stories together, not saying it wouldnt be nice, HECK i would love to kill me a 190 class buck, but if not, a doe or a little 8 point will do (: im proud of whatever i shoot! Most people havent ever killed a deer in their life. We should be thankful that we can hunt and enjoy the outdoors. God bless!
Old 11-17-2010, 06:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have 70lbs. of deer meat so far and want a Doe or Buck for my wifes first hunt be it a small 100 plus doe or a spike buck she would be thrilled and I would be as well for her first deer. I have 6 weeks left to get my 8 pointer if I can or another doe is fine because when I eat my jerky or sausage or back straps it matters not to me if it had antlers. I enjoy the challenge of getting a mature doe or buck and it does make a difference if they are mature. It took me 3 weeks to get the 2nd Doe I got,she was a smart one. Big racks are decorations on a well made cake but give me the cake and I'll be happy even if it's a plane Jane.
Old 11-18-2010, 05:38 AM
Spike

This is typed completely out of respect, not to down any of your opinions or to say that i'm right and your wrong...

Well, I guess i am the exception to the norm. I can't stand to see grown men shoot spikes, or any buck for that matter that isn't outside the ears.

I do believe that children and young men-women, should enjoy taking deer of any size, age, so that they enjoy it and develop a love for hunting. However, there comes a point and time in which all hunters need to become better managers of land and herd. Its better for the herd to let the immature bucks walk and to thin the doe population.

I consider myself a hunter for meat first, trophy hunter second. Every year I shoot plenty of does, and pass on lots of bucks that are not mature, I enjoy watching these smaller bucks walk around in nature almost as much as shooting a mature doe and filling my freezer. I've shot only three bucks in five years, and trust me, I have enjoyed it just as much any of you who shot the immature bucks.

Lastly, all of you have children, parents, friends, (and yourselves) that would enjoy hunting a little more if there were bigger bucks walking around your woods whether you would like to admit it or not. I'm not talking about the "Bucks of Tecomate" size, but nice ones.

I just wanted to post the other side of this topic. Ultimately I have good friends that I hunt with and hang out with that will shoot 4 6 and 8's that I disagree with, but I respect their decisions, they just don't hunt on my land! lol.

I guess my thinking boils down to this... why shoot a young buck when the doe population in any area is more than plentiful, and has just as much quailty meat???? Why????
Old 11-18-2010, 05:54 AM
Spike

It's all about the hunt...the pursuit...the chase...what you shoot is up to you...that is your reward or demise to yourself...
Old 11-18-2010, 06:05 AM
Fork Horn

In our club, having a 6 point or better rule doesn't mean were going for trophies, it just means we're willing to let the young ones go. Whether your a meat hunter, trophy hunter, brown and down, it's each one of our personsal freedom of choice that makes it the greatest sport known to man. As long as we stay within the parameters of the law, we all have different visions and dreams. We all love to be with family and friends, take pride and pass on some good ribbing during the hunting season. I don't have to shoot an arrow or fire my gun to have fun, if I get the opportunity to, great. I've taken my bullets for a walk many a year, came up empty, but have memories of each year like that that you can't put a dollar value on, especially when thinking of the years with loved ones who have passed on. Good luck to all out there, and god bless.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

I hunt to fill the freezer also. If a doe, spike, or a monster comes out i shoot. Im not one to see a doe and wait to see if a buck comes out, you can't eat antlers. This past saturday i shot a nice buck, but that was because he stepped out if it was a doe i would have done the same thing. And because he was a nice deer I wanted to show everyone, so would anyone else. But it does'nt mean that if it was a doe that steped out i wouldn't have shot.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RUNNOFT
This is typed completely out of respect, not to down any of your opinions or to say that i'm right and your wrong...

Well, I guess i am the exception to the norm. I can't stand to see grown men shoot spikes, or any buck for that matter that isn't outside the ears.

I do believe that children and young men-women, should enjoy taking deer of any size, age, so that they enjoy it and develop a love for hunting. However, there comes a point and time in which all hunters need to become better managers of land and herd. Its better for the herd to let the immature bucks walk and to thin the doe population.

I consider myself a hunter for meat first, trophy hunter second. Every year I shoot plenty of does, and pass on lots of bucks that are not mature, I enjoy watching these smaller bucks walk around in nature almost as much as shooting a mature doe and filling my freezer. I've shot only three bucks in five years, and trust me, I have enjoyed it just as much any of you who shot the immature bucks.

Lastly, all of you have children, parents, friends, (and yourselves) that would enjoy hunting a little more if there were bigger bucks walking around your woods whether you would like to admit it or not. I'm not talking about the "Bucks of Tecomate" size, but nice ones.

I just wanted to post the other side of this topic. Ultimately I have good friends that I hunt with and hang out with that will shoot 4 6 and 8's that I disagree with, but I respect their decisions, they just don't hunt on my land! lol.

I guess my thinking boils down to this... why shoot a young buck when the doe population in any area is more than plentiful, and has just as much quailty meat???? Why????

This actually goes with how I feel about it. In the past I had to kill what I could to fill my freezer. I tried to lay off really young bucks but it was not always possible. Two of my children really enjoy hunting, my son is 14 and probably a better hunter than I am. He buck hunts until I say it is kill time and he can usually kill a doe anytime he gets ready it seems. My nephews and brother started hunting last year. Long story short by the end of muzzleloader season last year I had 13 (I think that many) in my freezer. Gun season I told everyone no more unless it goes on the wall and my son killed a 133" 9 point. My point is now I feel like I can trophy hunt if I want because the younger generation is filling my freezer and allowing me to be more selective. I killed my biggest buck to date this year and have let a lot of deer walk. I have my eyes on a monster and may not shoot unless I see him. You have to hunt to the standards that make you happy and enjoy it for YOU and not worry what others will think. I guess I will try to trophy hunt but only because I would prefer to see the younger generation get to do the shooting.
Old 11-18-2010, 08:50 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by RUNNOFT

Couldn't be put much better than this in my opinion. I'll be straight up honest I'm a HORN hunter first. Ok so thats just me. If you get your fun out of other ways so be it. No disrespect to anyone as long as your having fun with the sport! But please pass on the 1 1/2 year old bucks and take a doe as mentioned above as much as possible.
Happy Hunting to all
Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Im a bone colector

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.