HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   How long meat lasts? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334365-how-long-meat-lasts.html)

cal516 11-17-2010 09:36 AM

How long meat lasts?

How long is meat good for in a cooler? It has been mid-40's and lower here. I have been trying to get some processed and with it being mid-season the processor I go to has been full.

jerrrrstanley 11-17-2010 02:02 PM

a refrigerator is usually around the 40* mark. I just ground one up today that had been in the refrigerator for 5 days and hung for a day. So it was 6 day old meat and was just fine. I don't let it age for more than a week tho.

bigcountry 11-17-2010 02:14 PM

If the deer is left whole with membrane/silverskin/fat left on the outside, it can be kept at 37 for 2 weeks or longer.

Its when you start cutting into the meat, it can actually start molding after 3 days.

MichaelH 11-17-2010 02:22 PM

When the weather is warm, I typically quarter my deer the same day it's shot or the following day. I place it in a large cooler with three gallon sized jugs of ice, which I rotate with another set of three jugs. I leave a grate in the bottom to allow the blood to collect below the meat. I usually keep it in the cooler between four to seven days, depending on when I have time to cut it up. I know I've gone as long as 10 days. Never had an issue.

Mike

skeeter 7MM 11-17-2010 10:17 PM

Aging is essentially rot, the higher the temerature the faster the process. Key to aging is maintaining a core temperature of the meat at 37-40 o. I wouldn't be leaving game for more then 3-4 days where i couldn't keep it closer to 40 in regards to core temp. The problem that can exist with being on the carcass is green rot this where rot starts at the bone due to higher core or internal temperature then surface. Oldtimer trick for carcass hanging/cooling is freeze 5 gallon pails and have a fan blow over on low or med low them in the hanging area, replace when melted down.

Other options: find a different locker or bone or quarter yourself.

FWIW I don't believe in aging venison, I allow for a relax period of 24 hours and then process as soon as I can.

MichaelH 11-18-2010 02:58 AM

Originally Posted by skeeter 7MM (Post 3724274)
Aging is essentially rot, the higher the temerature the faster the process. Key to aging is maintaining a core temperature of the meat at 37-40 o. I wouldn't be leaving game for more then 3-4 days where i couldn't keep it closer to 40 in regards to core temp. The problem that can exist with being on the carcass is green rot this where rot starts at the bone due to higher core or internal temperature then surface. Oldtimer trick for carcass hanging/cooling is freeze 5 gallon pails and have a fan blow over on low or med low them in the hanging area, replace when melted down.

Other options: find a different locker or bone or quarter yourself.

FWIW I don't believe in aging venison, I allow for a relax period of 24 hours and then process as soon as I can.

Essentially is the key word. The main difference between aging and rotting is enzymes breaking down the fibers vs. bad bacteria that the enzymes can turn into as they wear off or die.