HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Heat in the stand? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334293-heat-stand.html)

accman 11-16-2010 09:07 AM

Heat in the stand?

In our club, everyone has a heater in their stand. They have some big propane heaters, probably goin all day long. My stand is a small 4x4, which I've been heating with a can of sterno for over 40 years. Use to put it in a large coffee can, put in down by my feet and cover the legs with another hunting sweatshirt I bring up. Maybe 10 years ago, we found an old Sterno Porcelin Heater up in the attic of the hunting club. I'm the only one who uses sterno, and everyone else has a good laugh at that, but I find it's good for over 2 hrs, doesn't make noise or smell, deer have been right next to the stand and it hasn't bothered them at all, and just put it on when you need it.
When I used the coffee can, had one mistake when I was taking aim on a nice buck, shifted, shot, and he took off. I watched him go and (sniff, sniff) What's that ? Looked down and my hunting jacket had fallen on the can and started smoking. I put it out fast enough, but boy, did I take a ribbing from the guys at camp. "Hey City Boy !!! Show us your jacket !! Never quite let that one down, but this heater is safe, quiet, and throws a lot of heat your way. Anyone else have heaters ?

TeamWiscoUNIT61 11-16-2010 11:37 AM

I've used a little coleman in a box style ground blind we had. Normally im in a tree though, so..no heat. It gets awfully cold hunting late bow here in WI too lol. been thinking about investing in one of those Heater Body Suits...

hometheaterman 11-16-2010 11:48 AM

I'm wondering about this too. I've never used a heater in the stand, but I've got one of those portable Buddy heater things that run off of propane. I'm thinking about using it this year, but my biggest fear is that the deer will smell the propane. I'm hunting from a stand that's not fully closed in. It has windows cut in it on each side, but doesn't actually have windows there so it's just basically open all the way around on the top and then has a roof on it.

mitchmtm1 11-16-2010 12:45 PM

I have a regular camo sleeping bag that I keep scent free. Pull it up in the stand...put feet and legs in....pull up to armpits and sit down. Works like a charm especially on windy days.:rock:

Mitch

TeamWiscoUNIT61 11-16-2010 01:36 PM

Forgot to mention^^ I was in this ground blind (with open windows) and had the little propane heater going and took a nice 8pt at about 30 yds. I think you'll be alright.

The wind really is what gets ya. Those heater body suits are slick but 350 bucks?? it basically is a sleeping bag...

ihookem1 11-16-2010 05:33 PM

I use a heater every year. I even have a gas stove for heat. Never had a problem. I can stay in the stand a few extra hours with the heater even at 5 below.

johnnyo 11-16-2010 05:47 PM

Go with the HEATER BIDY SUIT... the best $350.00 you'll spend on hunting equipment!

accman 11-17-2010 05:16 AM

I'll also use those hand warmers which I keep in my pockets so I can sit up, hands keep warm, and the heater with a sweatshirt over it keeps the legs warm. Teen temps have a way of forcing you to just grin and bear it, but at least I'm in an enclosed stand and get away from the wind.

All 24 of the other guys in the club have propane heaters of all shapes and sizes, and it doesn't bother the deer in the least. And with the sterno, during the last few minutes of the can, it pops and hisses, but no big deal.

mr.mc54 11-17-2010 05:30 AM

I've been using a Buddy heater for three years now and no problem with the deer smelling it. I'm in an elevated box blind and so far so good.

accman 11-17-2010 06:09 AM

I found a picture of the enameled cast iron sterno heater and take a look at this old baby. When they say they don't make em like this anymore, THIS is what they're talking about !!