HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   New hunter. Need some advice. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334290-new-hunter-need-some-advice.html)

jdricha5 11-16-2010 08:18 AM

New hunter. Need some advice.

I'm trying to figure out where to hunt on my grandfathers land. I have never taken a deer but would like this year to be a good one. I'm leaving for the air force in the spring. There are hundreds of trails coming off the national forest. I just dont know which one is use the most.

The area I hunt is in southern mississippi. Here is our land.

Bigger View

With description

The creek down the middle of the property is so dense that there is no real way to walk down and stalk hunt around it. We have firelanes all around our property. A good friend of ours has hunted the creek bottom on our firelane many times and has never seen a deer.

We see deer alot at dark. But I dont feel comfortable shooting a deer when its so dark. (dont want to shoot a spike)

I hunt with a 30-30, a recurve, and a 45-70.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
JD

eureka77 11-16-2010 09:57 AM

Not to sure about your hunting situation, just wanted to say thanks for your soon to be service and good luck with it. Airforce huh, you must be smart.
If I had to pick a spot I guess I'd scout the upper left corner there close to the cut over.
Also not sure if all your is flat but if it is I'd hunt any change in elevation. A buddy who hunts Canada says it's all flat there and the deer travel any place there's slight increase in elevation, like even in inches. But yeah good luck with everthing all around!

TeamWiscoUNIT61 11-16-2010 11:32 AM

Ditto to eureka. Good luck and Thank you for your service. Now, as far as hunting, looks like you have some neat spots. Elevation is a great point. If theres any ridges or bluffs etc. hunt there. Hunting high is where i have had most luck (especially in the morning). If its an afternoon hunt, hunt low near food/feeding areas. The upper left corner looks like a good spot...Also, if there is any water, give that some serious attention.

cjwink 11-17-2010 09:29 AM

The deer tend to bed down in cutovers and then come out and stage on the outskirts of plots in the afternoon. If you have a fire lane between your land and the national forest I would be on it. Your likely to see them using that as travel routes or at least catch them crossing.

jerrrrstanley 11-17-2010 02:09 PM

Hunt the trails. If you can find where trails intersect of a few that run close together then set up on those spots. There are trails there for a reason. If you have a chance clean off an area on a trail about 2 foot wide by 5 foot long all the way down to the dirt. Then go back in a few days to see which way the deer tracks head and how many tracks there are. I always hunt trails near bedding areas and I always see deer. Sit still and sit ALL day if you can and you will see deer.

skank 11-17-2010 02:12 PM

heres some advise! stop bloody hunting!