Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Don't Tell Me..Coyotes ruined the deer heard in Steuben County! >

Don't Tell Me..Coyotes ruined the deer heard in Steuben County!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Don't Tell Me..Coyotes ruined the deer heard in Steuben County!

Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Spike

Angry Don't Tell Me..Coyotes ruined the deer heard in Steuben County!

Ive beenn hunting since the 70's in Steuben County, New York. I have land in Bath and have hunted, Prattsburgh, Bath and Savona. It went from seeing actual herds and at this point I see the same 5 deer i have seen and cammed all year. Where are all the deer? Coyotes are screamin and Im screamin too cause i spent $99.00 on a hunting license and its like the lottery if you get a deer.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you have coyotes, you have deer. Start shooting the yotes, if you see them.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:58 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
If you have coyotes, you have deer. Start shooting the yotes, if you see them.
Yep, take up coyote hunting! I don't know NY law, but most places I've been have a continuous open season and very generous bag limits or no limit at all.

Hunt coyotes in the summer so you can hunt deer in the fall / winter
Old 11-16-2010, 09:06 AM
Spike

were gonna start doing some trapping. Damm coyotes and damm the DEC for there part too
Old 11-16-2010, 09:17 AM
Fork Horn

In Orange, we shoot em when we see em, even on opening day. Take em out. Last year, since we had a lot of sightings, we set up a day in February for shooting Coyotes. Strategically placed some old meat in certain areas, but only had a hand full of guys hunting, with none picked off. This year, the guys all have agreed to come up and hunt the whole weekend, and we should have a blast. We might set up two weekends, one in January, and February if it's a hard winter up there. Don't need the population lowered worse by predators than just a natural winter kill. We'll throw out feed during the winter to help keep em around, but the coy's know that and use that as their own little bait pile, so to speak.
Old 11-16-2010, 12:46 PM
Fork Horn

THats not good. It seems like when you kill some they just make reproduce more. I wouldnt be to worried about it
Old 11-17-2010, 04:22 AM
Spike

Late February, early March always seem to produce the most dogs. Anytime is a good time to shoot Coyotes,
Good luck hunting and be safe.
Old 11-17-2010, 04:35 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by warrior_joe
were gonna start doing some trapping. Damm coyotes and damm the DEC for there part too
I hate to tell ya that coyotes aren't strictly to blame here. Sure, they take some deer, but predation by humans (ie: hunting) during this coming opening weekend will kill off more deer than the coyotes have all year.

I hunt in the Prattsburgh/Pulteney area in 8P and 8R. The deer herd is down from where it was 10 years ago but it is nowhere near desperation levels.

Last edited by WNY Bowhunter; 11-17-2010 at 04:38 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:07 AM
Fork Horn

its all the hunters down there
Old 11-17-2010, 08:09 AM
Spike

I've seen deer in groups run yotes out of the field, but I am guessing the newborn fawns take a pretty good hit each spring. I know the turkey population in the area has been drastically reduced. Used to see big flocks of birds, but now we rarely see one. We have taken 4 yotes so far this year, so that's a good start. Got one with the crossbow, that was fun. Coyotes are definitely a fun challenge to hunt, and unlike deer hunting, who cares if you miss, you probably were not going to eat it anyways!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.