Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gut pile affect your area?

Old 11-16-2010, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
I just never understand folks like you. I am sure not hurt. We are not curing cancer here. Just you gave me the chance to address a common problem among hunters.

I dont think you see what i was doing on the post. i was just using your quote to disagree with. i wasn't saying you were stupid or put you down in any way. i just dont think you get it. You come off very sensitive. Once again i apologize for getting at your nerves.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by dirtyd

I dont think you see what i was doing on the post. i was just using your quote to disagree with. i wasn't saying you were stupid or put you down in any way. i just dont think you get it. You come off very sensitive. Once again i apologize for getting at your nerves.
I honestly don't think you actually understand what I was doing. Generally I wouldn't bother to reply to a post like your. i was addressing a common problem on here. You just happen to be my example.

Thank you for opportunity to use you as an example. No nerves being bothered here. Let me give you a free piece of advise. Its the internet. Don't take it too serious. Again, we are not facilitating world peace.

Old 11-16-2010, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sure, its a forum, but I never asked you anything. I know what I know. You know what you know.

I just never understand folks like you. I am sure not hurt. We are not curing cancer here. Just you gave me the chance to address a common problem among hunters. I appoligize to use you as the example. One hunter will ask a question, and get many opinions. There's always others who "appear" insecure and need to attack others positions.

Let me explain. I have 2 leases and land behind my house. One, the freakin deer are about to jump out of thier skin at a moment notice. Is mostly big woods surrounded by other big woods. I have shot thru a deer and had an arrow in the ground. The deer ran 100 yards and expired. Another doe came and smelled that arrow with blood on it and freaked out.

On the other lease, I could throw stones at the deer. It doesn't matter to them. Another example. I turkey hunt on a cattle farm. The deer avoid the bone yard at all cost. Turkey don't. Even when there is not an actively rotting cow there, deer still avoid it like the plague.

This is common sense stuff. The answer is "it depends". Like I said, common sense stuff.

I for one don't take a chance. I don't put human pee in scrapes, I don't make mock scrapes. I don't leave gut piles. I play to win and keep things as natural as possible.
Is it possible that the deer which sniffed at your arrow and freaked out, was freaking out at your scent that was on the arrow?

To the original question. I don't gut at a stand that I want or plan to hunt again soon. I have had several deer come up on me while gutting a deer and it did not bother them but I feel better dragging them somewhere else. IMO it is probably more of the human scent that is spread around during the gutting process than the guts themselves.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:12 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by VAhuntr
Is it possible that the deer which sniffed at your arrow and freaked out, was freaking out at your scent that was on the arrow?

No. Wind was very clear on this. This is just one of many examples I have seen.

think of it this way. How many times have you seen a deer just ignore a new smell in an area. I bet its sorta like you going into your house and smelling rotten eggs in the hallway. Your probably going to stop and take note. Even the dirtiest, nastiest guy would stop and take note. He might not freak out. The cleanest most maticulus might freak out.

What I have noticed is not all deer are equal. They are individuals like you and I. I don't believe one can take one old story of dear old dad and let that shape his whole view of anything.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

No. Wind was very clear on this. This is just one of many examples I have seen.

think of it this way. How many times have you seen a deer just ignore a new smell in an area. I bet its sorta like you going into your house and smelling rotten eggs in the hallway. Your probably going to stop and take note. Even the dirtiest, nastiest guy would stop and take note. He might not freak out. The cleanest most maticulus might freak out.

What I have noticed is not all deer are equal. They are individuals like you and I. I don't believe one can take one old story of dear old dad and let that shape his whole view of anything.
What I meant was your scent that was actually on the arrow itself when you took it from the quiver and nocked it on your string.

I agree with you about every deer being a little different though.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:38 PM
Typical Buck

Never had a problem until this year and it didn't bother the deer . I dragged my son's deer to a spot naer a trail in an old vineyard and told him to gut it there . It was just off the trail . Usually gut piles don't last more than 2 days . Anyway , some animal had dragged part of the pile out onto the trail .
Apparently one of the property owner's neighbors rides his ATV on the trails and spotted it and complained . I should have selected a better spot for the pile but usually no one is ever in the the area during bow season . I know the land owner doesn't make trips through that hilly spot . He probably reacted with the info that the ATV rider gave him . However we will be more carefull in the future !
Old 11-16-2010, 09:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

In regards to death and wild animals its a fact of nature they live with, I personally don't think it affects them like it does humans. However predicting their reaction to a scent or finding is not possible either. I'm sure we can all tell a story of a deer walking in with your wind right in his or her nose, then others who blow when everything is seemingly perfect and in your favor. One never really knows and what might work once may not work the next time...that is hunting.

About the only worry I'd have about dumping the guts where I'll be hunting soon after would be the presence of scavengers, as this can make game uneasy. However like most stated a gut pile doesn't last long in my parts so if it were a few days I won't really worry about this factor.

No right or wrong method, have to go with what has worked.
Old 11-17-2010, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Ed McDonald
Never had a problem until this year and it didn't bother the deer . I dragged my son's deer to a spot naer a trail in an old vineyard and told him to gut it there . It was just off the trail . Usually gut piles don't last more than 2 days . Anyway , some animal had dragged part of the pile out onto the trail .
Apparently one of the property owner's neighbors rides his ATV on the trails and spotted it and complained . I should have selected a better spot for the pile but usually no one is ever in the the area during bow season . I know the land owner doesn't make trips through that hilly spot . He probably reacted with the info that the ATV rider gave him . However we will be more carefull in the future !
Assuming you have permission to be there, I would not worry about someone complaining.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:21 AM
Spike

I have found that it does not bother the other deer in my area, but I won't gut it close to my stand because I don't want to be sitting down wind and have to smell it. Usually the coyotes will have it cleaned up in a day or two though.
Old 11-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Fork Horn

Just wanted to point out that I killed a coyote in the middle of a road this week and had three does and a buck walk to it, smell it, and walk on. There were guts and blood everywhere. It just proves to me that they see death everyday and it doesn't bother them. (and before anyone gets their panties in a wad, what amazed me is that a coyote is a pred). I was doubting myself after i shot it b/c even i was worried it might bother them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.