Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gut pile affect your area?

Old 11-15-2010, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

I harvested my buck within ten yards of where my brother's buck's gut pile was from a couple days before (gone by then, of course)
Old 11-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Fork Horn

I think it will have no problem, but it does bring in scavengers like coyotes and etc. and in my experience it could spook a deer that is on his route to you or make him go another route. So more of an undirect outcome I would say. Long as there not much of your scent there it shouldnt hurt or make that big of a difference.
Old 11-16-2010, 02:14 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry

If the poster is stupid enough to gut his favorite stand, go for it. Its his deer, his stand. No skin off my nose.
No need to get all butt hurt over this. You just wrote down ''no brainer'' with nothing else to back it up with your expierences. I think the insecurity is yours.
I had 2 does come through yesterday, same travel route, so the deer in my area are not bothered by it. [this time]
I definatly appreciate ALL responses, even when they call me stupid, but thatks fellas!
Old 11-16-2010, 04:13 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by eureka77
No need to get all butt hurt over this. You just wrote down ''no brainer'' with nothing else to back it up with your expierences. I think the insecurity is yours.
I had 2 does come through yesterday, same travel route, so the deer in my area are not bothered by it. [this time]
I definatly appreciate ALL responses, even when they call me stupid, but thatks fellas!
Your deer man. Have at it. Enjoy.

Old 11-16-2010, 04:48 AM
Spike

My experience is that it changes routes.
Old 11-16-2010, 04:49 AM
Spike

Actually thinking about it further that was a doe's route around a bucks gut pile. I'd be interested in hearing the sex by sex comparison of piles. It seems by some posts that a bucks gut pile will not affect another buck as much as the other options.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:01 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
You know, I haver never understood why one poster can't respect another's opinion. Its almost like they feel insecure.
I was quoteing you because you said 'no brainer' and i wanted to have a response to it. It is a forum, and if you say something and others don't agree with it they can quote what you said and have a reply.

Dont get butt hurt over it. I had no intentions of being rude or calling you stupid. But it does seem like you were a little insecure with your response about being insecure.

I wonder though since our 1,800 acres has people on it over and over if the deer just get accustomed to humans being around. I then wonder since we take deer after deer off the property every year if they are use to seeing a guts and stuff all over the place. So it really could be a difference of place vs place.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

When I've shot deer with a rifle, maybe 15% drop right where he walked on the runway, or general area. In that situation, I moved it off the beaten path, and gutted it in an obscure area, easily covered by brush, to hold off the crows as long as I could. But most of the time, they're taking off on a run, and end up away from my hunting area. In bowhunting (chasing my sons deer as I'm still cherry), this is often the rule of thumb that your going for a walk to find him. What, 100 yds, 200 yds or more, sometimes closer, but it's usually away from your stand. So, why worry about gutting him there. If they do sense something, let's say, they'll walk around the area where he laid down and back into yours.
If you feel you have to maintain a totally scent free area, then do what ya gotta do. If you rifle, and don't care, so be it. There's no right or wrong here, it's an individual preference.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:19 AM
Kid
Typical Buck

While I'll usually drag deer away from my stand site before gutting them, I have shot 2 deer in my life that were actually sniffing gut piles when i shot them. One Buck and one Doe. The area I was hunting was only 14 acres with a house on it, so there was little choice but to gut the deer in the small part of it I could hunt. Both deer were sniffing gut piles from a Doe at the time.

Last edited by Kid; 11-16-2010 at 08:26 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 08:53 AM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by dirtyd
I was quoteing you because you said 'no brainer' and i wanted to have a response to it. It is a forum, and if you say something and others don't agree with it they can quote what you said and have a reply.

Dont get butt hurt over it. I had no intentions of being rude or calling you stupid. But it does seem like you were a little insecure with your response about being insecure.

I wonder though since our 1,800 acres has people on it over and over if the deer just get accustomed to humans being around. I then wonder since we take deer after deer off the property every year if they are use to seeing a guts and stuff all over the place. So it really could be a difference of place vs place.
Sure, its a forum, but I never asked you anything. I know what I know. You know what you know.

I just never understand folks like you. I am sure not hurt. We are not curing cancer here. Just you gave me the chance to address a common problem among hunters. I appoligize to use you as the example. One hunter will ask a question, and get many opinions. There's always others who "appear" insecure and need to attack others positions.

Let me explain. I have 2 leases and land behind my house. One, the freakin deer are about to jump out of thier skin at a moment notice. Is mostly big woods surrounded by other big woods. I have shot thru a deer and had an arrow in the ground. The deer ran 100 yards and expired. Another doe came and smelled that arrow with blood on it and freaked out.

On the other lease, I could throw stones at the deer. It doesn't matter to them. Another example. I turkey hunt on a cattle farm. The deer avoid the bone yard at all cost. Turkey don't. Even when there is not an actively rotting cow there, deer still avoid it like the plague.

This is common sense stuff. The answer is "it depends". Like I said, common sense stuff.

I for one don't take a chance. I don't put human pee in scrapes, I don't make mock scrapes. I don't leave gut piles. I play to win and keep things as natural as possible.

Last edited by bigcountry; 11-16-2010 at 08:57 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.