Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gut pile affect your area?

Old 11-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Yes, it will affect thier routes. No brainer.
No it wont. i have had gut piles right where they come thru the same day or the next.

I have also shot a doe and left it where it was to keep hunting for a buck or pigs or coyotes. I have seen deer walk right past another dead deer. It's life. They've seen many dead deer in their time.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

hah! It never effects the deer in my area, to tell the truth they always go rite up to it and sniff it. Last year i took my lil cuzin out wit me and he shot a decent doe. Next day i myself went out and killed a Huge doe that went rite up to the gut pile, stood broadside sniffing it, and i put a arrow in her. So i guess its just my place but it dosnt effect them one bit.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I still see them in the areas I hunt. In fact I shot a high 160 class muley buck when I was in the middle of gutting an elk.We where gutting a moose and deer where walking through the cut block. I can kill a buck and see animals the very next day not far from the animal pile. Between the birds like eagles crows magpies whiskey jacks and coyotes and bears these gut piles are gone within 24 hours. All that's left is a stain of blood on the ground and even then the blood stained dirt been licked up.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

The more you spread YOUR scent around an area the more chance you have of educating the deer to YOUR presence.You will spread your scent pretty heavily when kneeling down on the ground and gutting a deer.At some point,it WILL affect the deer movement in that area.

When the rut is on,all bets are off.Stupid bucks push does all over the place,even places they don't want to go.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by TFOX
The more you spread YOUR scent around an area the more chance you have of educating the deer to YOUR presence.You will spread your scent pretty heavily when kneeling down on the ground and gutting a deer.At some point,it WILL affect the deer movement in that area.

When the rut is on,all bets are off.Stupid bucks push does all over the place,even places they don't want to go.
Maybe with whitetails that's the case cause, they are more territorial I don't know. My experience with Elk moose mulies sheep you can go back the next day and something will be close by.They are always on the move reguardless of rut or not.Sudden weather patterns pushes them and so does temp .But I hunt alot in the high country, totally different than hunting lower elevation levels where animals walk to and from fields and bedding areas and weather and temp are more consistantly. Thinking this way, I can see that happening in this case.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:53 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by dirtyd
No it wont. i have had gut piles right where they come thru the same day or the next.

I have also shot a doe and left it where it was to keep hunting for a buck or pigs or coyotes. I have seen deer walk right past another dead deer. It's life. They've seen many dead deer in their time.
You know, I haver never understood why one poster can't respect another's opinion. Its almost like they feel insecure.

In my experience, it does affect. I own land behind my house. Hunted it for the last 11 years. I know where the deer are coming thru and where not. I have dumped deer renderings before over the hill near where they always come up. After that, nothing all season long.

Sure, you got your little story, and I have got many stories too to back up my opinion.

If the poster is stupid enough to gut his favorite stand, go for it. Its his deer, his stand. No skin off my nose.

Old 11-15-2010, 06:55 PM
Fork Horn

well after 20 somethin years..... the deer must be pretty dumb in my area. My Grandpa, His son and myself have been hunting this property every year. We manage it and produce many and large deer every year. So i dont see the problem..... I myself am a big scent control freak, but my grandpa still does it the old way, goes out wit just a normal set of camo clothing that has sat in his room all year. Goes out every year and still gets many deer rite under his stand. But like i said.... the deer must be pretty stupid on our property.
Old 11-15-2010, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
You know, I haver never understood why one poster can't respect another's opinion. Its almost like they feel insecure.

In my experience, it does affect. I own land behind my house. Hunted it for the last 11 years. I know where the deer are coming thru and where not. I have dumped deer renderings before over the hill near where they always come up. After that, nothing all season long.

Sure, you got your little story, and I have got many stories too to back up my opinion.

If the poster is stupid enough to gut his favorite stand, go for it. Its his deer, his stand. No skin off my nose.
Lol your 100% correct, Let the hunters do as they have learned. Its Diffrent for everyone. Like i just said in my last post, The deer dont mind the gut piles in my woods, but they mite in someone elses.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you hunt deer on a pattern and continuously are spreading your scent around THEIR living room,they will change their pattern.Might be only 50 yards and maybe only a few minutes difference but they will change it.

This kind of thing might not be a big issue for a gun hunter that only hunts during the rut phases but to a bowhunter that is trying to pattern a deer on a travel corridor,he definitely doesn't want to kill a couple deer in an area and lay on the ground and gut a deer.ESPECIALLY if you are trying to get on a big mature buck outside of the rut.If hunting a mature buck,I don't even want to kill anything in the area due to spreading my scent around.I will pass in the core areas of a mature buck.
Old 11-15-2010, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah it doesnt hurt anything. I gutted a deer once and went back that afternoon to hunt, and a doe came walking up and stuck her nose right down to the gut pile. She didnt spook or anything. Just acted normal.... So its okay to have a gut pile.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.