Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gut pile affect your area?

Old 11-26-2010, 05:46 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by bigcountry
Of course you have. Its the internet. We all have.
"It's" the internet? ziiiiing!!! You got me!

Get your panties back out of your rear, because you're being what you were complaining about earlier in this thread. Cry babies like you make me laugh.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:55 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by A11en
What amazes me is that you all still gut deer!!! I drag mine out of the woods, bring it home, hang it head down and get all four quarters, the backstraps, and tenderloins, without gutting it. The only time I get a little messy is cutting out the tenderloins.

I haven't gut a deer in 8 years.
It is the whole weight thing with me. I like a lighter drag.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by cullbuck
It is the whole weight thing with me. I like a lighter drag.
It's a lighter drag, yes--and not to mention it's a good idea to get the guts out of there and away from the meat and get the carcass cooled down asap.

I can think of a million good reasons to gut a deer in the field...I really can't think of one good one not to do that.

Yikes.
Old 11-26-2010, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by onion721
From what I've seen, as long as no predators are around, gut piles are just part of the scenery.
I remember an article recently where they placed a trailcam at a gut pile, deer were photographed sniffing at the pile.

I've even killed a deer that was in the vicinity of a deer carcass.
I still make a conscious effort to not gut a deer in a travel corridor.
I don't think it bothers the deer...but you do have be concerned about attracting predators to the area. That is a pretty big problem where I hunt.
Old 11-27-2010, 04:22 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Michlw39
I don't think it bothers the deer...but you do have be concerned about attracting predators to the area. That is a pretty big problem where I hunt.
Yes, or scavengers. I had a pack of skunks tearing up a gut pile near my stand once and they made a lot of noise....not to mention my fear of coming across one too closely.
Old 11-27-2010, 07:51 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Michlw39
It's a lighter drag, yes--and not to mention it's a good idea to get the guts out of there and away from the meat and get the carcass cooled down asap.

I can think of a million good reasons to gut a deer in the field...I really can't think of one good one not to do that.

Yikes.
I have the deer quartered and in the fridge / or cooler within 2 hours of the kill. Never had a problem with the meat tainted or going bad.

For you Michlw39 - I would recommend you keep gutting deer.
Old 11-27-2010, 02:49 PM
Spike

A11en, I'm not sure where you hunt, but where I do, we like to hang a deer for aging. So in our case we field dress our deer. Granted, during early bow season, we often don't have that option. So we generally quarter and "age" in the beer fridge. Even then I still field dress my deer.

As far as placement of the pile, we generally drag them off of main corridors. We also see that most piles are gone within a day or two due to coyotes and other scavengers. Regarding human scent left at the dressing site, I can't say for sure. My assumption is that the pile in and of itself probably outweighs most of the human scent.

I've seen plenty of studies showing various scents, human and otherwise that don't affect deer movement or patterns after time - say 24 hours.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Here, I have had no problems at all with a gut pile. And I also agree to gut em, but can also see the benefits of cleaning without gutting.
But to ya gotta love gettin a little messy....
Attached Thumbnails Gut pile affect your area?-unnamed-1-3-.jpg  
Old 11-27-2010, 03:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

dont think it would be there long enough to harmt things too bad