Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Gut pile affect your area?

Old 11-25-2010, 05:53 PM
Fork Horn

I have gutted a deer on opening morning,and went back the next morning and taken another within a few feet of where I gutted the first!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Fork Horn

From what I've seen, as long as no predators are around, gut piles are just part of the scenery.
I remember an article recently where they placed a trailcam at a gut pile, deer were photographed sniffing at the pile.

I've even killed a deer that was in the vicinity of a deer carcass.
I still make a conscious effort to not gut a deer in a travel corridor.
Old 11-25-2010, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by TFOX
The more you spread YOUR scent around an area the more chance you have of educating the deer to YOUR presence.You will spread your scent pretty heavily when kneeling down on the ground and gutting a deer.At some point,it WILL affect the deer movement in that area.

When the rut is on,all bets are off.Stupid bucks push does all over the place,even places they don't want to go.
I agree,during the rut it isn't as big a deal,but before the rut I would avoid doing it if possible.
If you can drag them without gutting,move them to another location first!
Old 11-25-2010, 06:14 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by dirtyd
Just wanted to point out that I killed a coyote in the middle of a road this week and had three does and a buck walk to it, smell it, and walk on. There were guts and blood everywhere. It just proves to me that they see death everyday and it doesn't bother them. (and before anyone gets their panties in a wad, what amazed me is that a coyote is a pred). I was doubting myself after i shot it b/c even i was worried it might bother them.
Well, one thing for sure, no matter if it affects an area or not, you sure want it to not.

I go to the dump every 3 weeks to take my garbage off. It stinks, but I still go. But if I was walking the same route every day thru my house and all the sudden I smell something rotten, I am going to take note.

You don't think a big mature buck doesn't? Your choice. Difference is between you and I is I sure wouldn't be stupid enough to take that chance. You might.

Old 11-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

i killed a 10 point, 4 1/2 year old the next day, just 30 yards from it. But ya never know because he coulda had a girl on his mind and not noticed at all.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have shot many of deer and left a gut pile close to my stand. I went back that same evening and shot another deer. I have even seen deer lick a gut pile. So, no, I really think it does not affect them one way or another.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:39 PM
bigcountry

Originally Posted by dirtyd
i killed a 10 point, 4 1/2 year old the next day, just 30 yards from it. But ya never know because he coulda had a girl on his mind and not noticed at all.
Of course you have. Its the internet. We all have.

Old 11-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by TFOX
If you hunt deer on a pattern and continuously are spreading your scent around THEIR living room,they will change their pattern.Might be only 50 yards and maybe only a few minutes difference but they will change it.

This kind of thing might not be a big issue for a gun hunter that only hunts during the rut phases but to a bowhunter that is trying to pattern a deer on a travel corridor,he definitely doesn't want to kill a couple deer in an area and lay on the ground and gut a deer.ESPECIALLY if you are trying to get on a big mature buck outside of the rut.If hunting a mature buck,I don't even want to kill anything in the area due to spreading my scent around.I will pass in the core areas of a mature buck.
I can see that.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:06 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ManofTheFall
I have shot many of deer and left a gut pile close to my stand. I went back that same evening and shot another deer. I have even seen deer lick a gut pile. So, no, I really think it does not affect them one way or another.
I've done the exact same thing. It is a good question to ask here.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:29 PM
Typical Buck

What amazes me is that you all still gut deer!!! I drag mine out of the woods, bring it home, hang it head down and get all four quarters, the backstraps, and tenderloins, without gutting it. The only time I get a little messy is cutting out the tenderloins.

I haven't gut a deer in 8 years.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.