HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   My plan for tommorow after school... (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/334165-my-plan-tommorow-after-school.html)

Master Chief 11-14-2010 05:48 PM

My plan for tommorow after school...

This evening I decided rather than going to my stand I would find a spot to sit and watch over my food plot since my dad had seen a decent 6 or 8 point chasing doe in it the night before. Typically I'm hunting a "funnel" where I have yet to not see a buck but still I thought I'd give this a try. Usually we see deer in this food plot during bow season (usually doe) and late rifle (usually monster bucks chasing doe). Its a long shot from where the photos are taken so it's okay that we typically don't see biggins in it till after muzzleloader so I can use my 30-06. But today I went down there and got behind some small shrubs. I waited till it was almost pitch black to walk out and after I took almost 10 steps I hear a heavy deer trotting stait towards me about 30 yards away. I slowly crouched down just to get a glimps of a long white flag and the sound of a doe blowing in the woods where the first deer came from. I felt stupid because I couldn't see anything but it's tail and it wasn't but 15-20 yards away but it was so friggin dark.

Here's the spot:

Tomarrow I'm going to sit beside the circled ceder tree so I can see the food plot and the ridge. I might put my climber in a tree on the ridge for rifle season also(this weekend:)) I'm going to take some tinks with me as soon as I get home. Then sit down and try to get a buck too some to me. I have one question though. Should I use an estrus can and wait about ten minutes, hit the rattling antlers, and then a grunt? I watch team realtree do that a lot so I thought I might try :biggrin:

PS down in the bottom left corner is a patch of persimon trees. Last year I stuck my first with a bow. It ran off to the ridge and about a half a year later I was picking blackberries and found a skull right were it ran off to. The skull was a pretty good little 8 point. Never will know if it's the one I shot though.

Wow one long post lol And btw the arrow is pointing towards the ridge I kept refering to.

-Master Chief

jrbsr 11-14-2010 06:01 PM

Take a chair, and sit behind the disc plow.
It will hide you pretty good.
Good Luck.

Master Chief 11-14-2010 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by jrbsr (Post 3721877)
Take a chair, and sit behind the disc plow.
It will hide you pretty good.
Good Luck.

Only fear I have on doing that is it's muzzloader here in TN and thats a lot farther than it look in the photo. Atleast 200yrds. Is that an okay distance with a muzzloader with 100 grains and a .295 bullet? Of course tomorrow is the last day I'll be using the muzzloader so I'm not all that worried about it. I can shoot one no prob that far with my 30-06.

Master Chief 11-14-2010 06:13 PM

Here this shows the disance much better. (in the first pic I was using zoom)