Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Wife missed her buck.

Old 11-14-2010, 08:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Wife missed her buck.

I dont know if any one remembers this. A few months ago I made a post called what would you do. I had gotten pictures of a pretty good buck on my cam. When my wife saw them she said that she wanted to kill the buck. I didnt know wether or not to hunt it myself or try and let her kill it. After thinking about it I gave her dibbs. I tried to figure out everything this buck did. It was nocturnal and when the acorns started falling just vanished. We had given up on that particular buck and she was goona settle for something else. This mornin I get her on her stand and head back to the house. About an hour later I hear a shot and get a text saying I just shot the big one. He ran away. I tell the boys stay here a bit and i'll help her. I get there and she is a nervous wreck. She shot at him about 100 yrd. with my 308 so i was expecting to find him. We go to point of impact and I find nothing. start back up the trail in the direction he went and no blood to be found. I reassure her that if she hit it with a 110 gr. hollow point we will find it. We never did find blood. She was down about it. So I walked over every inch of that 20 or so acre of thick cedars and brush. I think i did all i could possibly do. She is still down about it but I told her I think she missed. At least it didnt drag off and die. I told her not to give up.
Old 11-14-2010, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pretty disappointing for her. You did your best trying to find it. It sounds like a clean miss which is far better than losing a wounded deer to maybe find leftovers from the coyotes. Your wife may still have another chance at it. Best of luck.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:05 PM
Fork Horn

Missing deer is never fun. i missed one last friday, you keep telling yourself to keep looking even though you know you missed it. ( ecspecially after seeing the tree with a hole in it) lol. tell your wife to keep at it. everyone misses