Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

neighbors baiting

Old 11-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

I think I'd probably politely talk to the neighbor and make sure they understand the possible ramifications of their actions. Perhaps they could bait earlier in the year, or after the season was over. If all they're interested in is pictures, then I wouldn't think it would be a big deal, especially if they know what the rules are and the potential problems they could be causing you.

You could also quiz your local conservation agent and ask them just what you can and can't do in a situation such as this.
Old 11-14-2010, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

were u hunt in western ny i have the same problem these guys have like 3 acres and they bait and have a standin corn feild and they dig trenches its really annoyin
Old 11-14-2010, 04:14 PM
Typical Buck

60 acres is a puny area. If they are baiting there should be more deer wandering around your whole area.

We can bait here and it is big spruce bush. I'm dealing with about 600 acres I hunt whihc is within about 6000 acres of bush. The feed pile will get doe's mvoing down certain trails but I have never seen a mature buck come out of the bush and walk up and feed on the bait. It just doesn't happen. we hunt on trails away from the bait or over it when the rut is on and buck come cruising thru looking for does. You can make thier illegal activioty to your adavantage on a mere 60 acres if you know what you're doing. forget about the bait and focus on the new deer activity and work it to your advanatage but I'd stay on your own property so there's no issue with laws.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:53 AM
Fork Horn

Two things you can do for next year since this years history. If there feeding, make small food plots. Nothing fancy, even no plow placed in heavily traveled areas will give you enough confidence they're gonna frequent your area besides his.
Second, if they're habits have changed, where do they cross your property, heavily traveled runways, place a camera and see if it's day or night, morning or afternoon. If they bed down in yours, could be to your advantage. Rather than fight him cause he's gonna do it no matter what, then use it to your advantage, know where they end up and just find out how they get there and when they leave. And besides, if it's amiable now with knowing you can cross lines to find your deer, is it something you really want to lose ? Keep the lines of communication open.
Old 11-15-2010, 02:24 PM
Fork Horn

pour gas on the corn lol
Old 11-16-2010, 06:34 AM
Fork Horn

wow stab ... someday when i grow up i hope i have all the answers like you .... you are just way to much !!!!No really too much ...
Old 11-16-2010, 06:37 AM
Fork Horn

thanks too all for the helpful info .. oh yea and thanks to the rest of you...
Old 11-16-2010, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by scribbler444
big deer dont go to bait, especially during the rut mature deer can go 3 days without eating and only a day without drinking. Hunt a water source oyull have ore success. Only thing your neighbors gonna show is a spike of a 4 and idk about you that wouldnt really cut it for me
Don't you think the does will go to the bait ??? Don't you think the bucks will follow the does ??? I can show you a video of a big buck killed over a corn pile also.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:30 AM
Spike

NY state law is pretty clear on the subject of feeding/baiting wild deer. This actually came about in response to CWD.

§189.3 Prohibitions.
Notwithstanding any other provision of this Chapter to the contrary, the following prohibitions shall apply:
(a) Importation of Animals of the Genus Cervus, Genus Odocoileus, or Genus Alces. No person shall import into New York State any wild or captive animal of the Genus Cervus or the Genus Odocoileus or the Genus Alces except under permit issued by the New York State Department of Agriculture and Markets, in consultation with the Department, pursuant to Section 68.2 of Title 1 NYCRR.
(b) Feeding Wild White-tailed Deer or Wild Moose in New York. No person shall feed wild white-tailed deer or wild moose at any time in New York State except:
(1) under a license or permit issued by the Department pursuant to Article 11, Title 5 of the Environmental Conservation Law for bona fide scientific research, mitigation of wildlife damage or nuisance problems, or wildlife population reduction programs only; or
(2) by planting, cultivating or harvesting of crops directly associated with bona fide agricultural practices, including planted wildlife food plots; or
(3) by distribution of food material for livestock directly associated with bona fide agricultural practices; or
(4) by distribution of food material for legally possessed captive animals of the Genus Cervus or the Genus Odocoileus or the Genus Alces; or
(5) by cutting of trees or brush.
Old 11-29-2010, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nysmoker
thanks too all for the helpful info .. oh yea and thanks to the rest of you...
Someday you will, someday you will.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.