Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

neighbors baiting

Old 11-13-2010, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

Default neighbors baiting

I am hunting western ny and baiting of any kind is illegal. Noticed a major shift in deer movement patterns IE deer were moving away from feeding zones ... night and day . Started looking around and found 3 different big piles of corn on the neighbors property... with cameras. Asked them what was up with this and they said just using it to get pics . Now they dont bow hunt only gun .We hunt small tracts of land and when one messes with the patterns it messes all around them.I do have permission to hunt on them and sometimes i have to go over to retrieve a deer so i dont want a huge pissing match but still it has really screwed with my hunting . Now i could move my stands closer to the property line and be within 50 yards of one of there bait piles , but that would make me no better than them .Gun season is a week away and if i report it i wouldnt be able to hunt a large section of my own land do to the proximity of the bait to the property lines.There is a 30 day rule of no hunting near a bait pile within 30 days of clean up .I own 37 acres and they have 25.Guess im really kind of stuck for this year ... gonna have to shut up suck it up and remind them of the rules for next year ... just venting i guess.
Old 11-13-2010, 07:29 AM
Fork Horn

big deer dont go to bait, especially during the rut mature deer can go 3 days without eating and only a day without drinking. Hunt a water source oyull have ore success. Only thing your neighbors gonna show is a spike of a 4 and idk about you that wouldnt really cut it for me
Old 11-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by nysmoker
I am hunting western ny and baiting of any kind is illegal. Noticed a major shift in deer movement patterns IE deer were moving away from feeding zones ... night and day . Started looking around and found 3 different big piles of corn on the neighbors property... with cameras. Asked them what was up with this and they said just using it to get pics . Now they dont bow hunt only gun .We hunt small tracts of land and when one messes with the patterns it messes all around them.I do have permission to hunt on them and sometimes i have to go over to retrieve a deer so i dont want a huge pissing match but still it has really screwed with my hunting . Now i could move my stands closer to the property line and be within 50 yards of one of there bait piles , but that would make me no better than them .Gun season is a week away and if i report it i wouldnt be able to hunt a large section of my own land do to the proximity of the bait to the property lines.There is a 30 day rule of no hunting near a bait pile within 30 days of clean up .I own 37 acres and they have 25.Guess im really kind of stuck for this year ... gonna have to shut up suck it up and remind them of the rules for next year ... just venting i guess.
Man you are in a tough spot! I would very carefully determine that 50 yard mark and be ABSOLUTELY sure that you are outside of the "infraction zone". What is done is done for this year.

You may wish to speak to your neighbor and be a little more clear on this subject. I would bet that the baiting rule is there for hunting purposes and also covers "getting pictures" so it would be illegal all around. You might want to ask them that if they want to do this in the future that they please do it atleast 50 yards from your property so you don't effectively lose huntable area on your land.

It is extremely rare that a CO will accept the arguement of, "but I didn't know the bait was there". You never know....a CO may already know the bait is there and plan on paying a visit to see if anyone is hunting it during gun season.

Your neighbor put you in legal jeapordy.
Old 11-13-2010, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

First off what are you doing on their property? People really need to mind their own bee's wax. If they are that dumb to bait next to the property line, go ahead and call the cops. But if your over their looking for who know what. You are no better then them!!!
Old 11-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

lol i agree with the previous posts
as i know 60 acres aint much, and depending on the terrain you can almost see the whole stretch.
lucky for you , you did see it, cause i'd hate ta be in your shoes if ya did get popped, and didnt know.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:41 PM
Fork Horn

I know in Wisconsin that if your neighbors are baiting as long as it's not on your land, even if it's 5 yards from your property it doesn't mean you can't hunt your property.... if the dnr were to find your neighbors bait...
Old 11-13-2010, 03:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
First off what are you doing on their property? People really need to mind their own bee's wax. If they are that dumb to bait next to the property line, go ahead and call the cops. But if your over their looking for who know what. You are no better then them!!!
Where does it written that the OP was on their property?

Oh, yea...It doesnt say that.

It says he was looking around.
You can look onto someone elses property without stepping foot on their property.

Last edited by MrWinkles; 11-13-2010 at 04:13 PM.
Old 11-14-2010, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

wow stab .... re read the post ... I have permission to hunt this property ....and occasionally go over there to retrieve deer, and they have reciprocating permission.And what kind of hunter wouldnt realize that something is wrong when all the sudden after 15 years the deer habits have changed and investigate it ....
Old 11-14-2010, 06:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MrWinkles
Where does it written that the OP was on their property?

Oh, yea...It doesnt say that.

It says he was looking around.
You can look onto someone elses property without stepping foot on their property.
Oh, yeah I didn't know that
Old 11-14-2010, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nysmoker
wow stab .... re read the post ... I have permission to hunt this property ....and occasionally go over there to retrieve deer, and they have reciprocating permission.And what kind of hunter wouldnt realize that something is wrong when all the sudden after 15 years the deer habits have changed and investigate it ....
You wanna know why your not seeing deer, quit doing your so called investigating!!! I wished I had you as a neighbor so you could push everything onto my property!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.