Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

making noise before the shot

Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Fork Horn

Default making noise before the shot

is there a reason folks make a noise before they take a shot on a deer. I get that they are trying to stop the deer, but I have always took my shot even if they are walking. It seems to me that all you are doing is alerting the deer to where your shot is coming from. Im not knocking it, just looking for some understanding.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:31 AM
Typical Buck

I dont make any noise.

if you alert the deer you are giving your position away, getting his full attention, and risk him ducking your arrow or shot or maybe just bolting off at the sound you make.

I didn't just sit in the stand for however many hours sitting still to make noise at the last possible second.
Old 11-13-2010, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

If they are in an open area where I can get a shot off at any time, I don't make a noise. But if I only have a small window of opportunity to get the shot off, a shooting lane for example, I bleat and stop the deer where I want the shot to be taken.
Old 11-13-2010, 09:03 AM
Super Moderator

I've only done this once. A decent 8 point was at a full run going straight away from me. So I yelled "Buck!" as loud as I could. HE stopped, and turned slightly and looked over his shoulder. Gave me a good shot. Under normal circumstances I wouldn't make a sound. But I had nothing to lose in that situation.
-Jake
Old 11-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

There's no issue with using a mouth grunt or such to stop a deer. Whether it is to stop the deer so that it will be in one of your shooting lanes or just to give you the stationary target.

I mean have you ever seen a deer immediately blast off on any such noise. I doubt it. They usually stop/listen/look. Deer, like humans hear better when they aren't walking and crunching leaves, etc...
Old 11-13-2010, 11:30 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
I dont make any noise.

if you alert the deer you are giving your position away, getting his full attention, and risk him ducking your arrow or shot or maybe just bolting off at the sound you make.

I didn't just sit in the stand for however many hours sitting still to make noise at the last possible second.
You're assuming everyone is a bow hunter. For us rifle hunters who take shots at 250 - 300 yards, even walking could cause a bad hit or even a miss. So we let out a little grunt (sounds like a doe) to get him to stop.

The important thing is to already have the gun up and on target when you do it. Because, as you mentioned, he'll look right at you. If you raise the gun AFTER grunting, he'll run. Have the gun up, grunt, he stops, squeeze the shot.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

never when bowhunting, cause thet alerts them and they will jump your string...of course in close range
never a good idea to take a shot at a moving target, but to each their own.
i always grunt stop em fer my daughter, so she has a stationary target.
a deer needs to hear 2 sounds come from you to pin point your location..the 1st one makes them stop and try and hear it again, but the 2nd sound, they got you, right down to 4 inches of your exact location.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:31 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
the 1st one makes them stop and try and hear it again, but the 2nd sound, they got you, right down to 4 inches of your exact location.
78.4 percent of all statistics are made up right on the spot... haha just playing. I know what ya mean and agree. If you make another sound after already alerting them, then they've definitely got you busted.
Old 11-13-2010, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

My biggest deer to date was trotting right at my cut off for a shot. I told myself that I would only shoot if I could stop the deer. I tried the bleet, the grunt and the whistle and could not get the deer to stop until I yelled "Hey" and the deer stopped for a shot.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
a deer needs to hear 2 sounds come from you to pin point your location..the 1st one makes them stop and try and hear it again, but the 2nd sound, they got you, right down to 4 inches of your exact location.
I agree with you on this one... the fact that the doe he was just chasing took off again. Noise... or... Doe? lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.