Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Northern MN deer hunting...good? >

Northern MN deer hunting...good?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Northern MN deer hunting...good?

Old 11-11-2010, 07:28 PM
Spike

Default Northern MN deer hunting...good?

Having fished in MN (Ely area) I've really grown to like the northwoods. I have never hunted northern MN and I'm curious what the hunting is like. I'm thinking about hooking up with an outfitter in Baudette / Lake of the Woods next year for a deer hunt. I also like the idea of doing a deer camp with some guys. I guess I'm curious about the deer population and quality of bucks as I'm not sure what to expect. I'm also curious if most of your shots are close range and in the brush or can you get long shots in the brush up north (assuming your in a tree stand). I would love to hear about your experiences hunting deer in MN.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Fork Horn

Best friend used to hunt up there and like Wisconsin, there are some monsters.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Fork Horn

My profile pic happens to be a buck I shot there in 2007. In the three years I hunted up by Ely I only saw a total of 7 deer. The wolves have done a number on the deer and the past two winters have been hard on the deer. We didn't go up there this year to hunt because of the low deer numbers, but once those start to increase we will be heading back up there.
Old 11-12-2010, 01:55 PM
Spike

ek_buckmaster - Did you hunt on private or public? Outfitter?
Old 11-12-2010, 10:04 PM
Fork Horn

We hunted on public land. I can't remember exactly where it was seeing as im still kinda young and didn't even think about paying attention to where exactly we were going haha. But there is TONS of public land up there. Some spots a lot of people would be at and hunt near the roads and others you could have a whole 300 acre piece to your self.