Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Dipping while hunting

Old 11-11-2010, 10:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default Dipping while hunting

Does dipping while hunting effect the deer? I know smoking does but does dip really put off that much odor?
Old 11-11-2010, 11:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

It probably does put off quite a bit of odor, since most of your odor originates from your mouth. But I do it on all day sits and just use a spitter. I take 3 bottles for long sits, water bottle, spitter, and pee bottle.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

I dont think it does cause almost all my uncles dip while in the deer stand and they always have success, They spit in a bottle though. So that may be the reason
Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Fork Horn

i always spit on the ground it causes a lot of movement and noise i will try the bottle.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:00 PM
Spike

I think it all depends on how you play the wind. I have smoked a cigarette while on all day sits and then seen deer upwind. It all boils down to the wind.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:03 PM
Spike

I dip and spit but what I usually try to do is spit downward onto a tree branch to soften the noise. I've had deer this season within 8-10 yards and they don't seem to mind it much.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always buy apple blend during season...seems to bring them in..J/K. I use skoal and don't really spit much at all, I don't worry about the smell.

I honestly think your movement spitting is prob worse then any smell it puts off.

popeandyoungchaser.....for your sake I hope you never mix up those bottles..I mean peeing in the spit bottle may be ok but I wouldn't want to mistake the other 2 for the drinking bottle.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:13 PM
Fork Horn

i have smoked in a tree and not bothered deer.. i chew now.. and always while hunting...use a spit bottle and never had a problem. i shot my buck and doe the last 2 years with a dip in
Old 11-11-2010, 01:04 PM
Fork Horn

i chew but i take my dip out when i get ready to get out of my truck i go through so much on scent control that i figure why risk all my work on a dip plus at work i have to go 12 hours with out a dip so 5 or 6 hours isnt anything with out one.
Old 11-11-2010, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

dip skoal citrus, but alot of times i get a can of camel snus in mellow flavor.. no spitting required.

buddy at work dips skoal apple and you can smell it a good ways, another guy dips grape flavor dip and you can smell it and not even be in the same room, smells like grape cough syrup.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.