Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Could use NYS hunting in the rain advice >

Could use NYS hunting in the rain advice

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Could use NYS hunting in the rain advice

Old 11-11-2010, 04:11 AM
Spike

Default Could use NYS hunting in the rain advice

Hi everyone, I'm new here and this is my second season hunting.
I do not use a tree stand instead I Still hunt and Stalk. Here are my questions:
  1. Can anyone recommend a good poncho or raincoat to go over my jacket and hood? One that won't leak through no matter how much rain comes down. I am leaning toward a poncho because that is what soldiers are equipped with.
  2. Has anyone used these waterproof bibs in extremely rainy conditions? I am hoping I can sit down on wet rocks and branches all day without getting wet in them too.
  3. Has anyone been caught out in the rain or sat in wet conditions in these coveralls?
  4. How the hell do you take a crap in coveralls?
Thanks and if anyone is confused or interested I have two sets of gear I plan on wearing depending on the temperature.
Moderately Cold Gear - Bibs + Jacket with a poncho in the pack
Very Cold Gear - Coveralls with a poncho in the pack just in case.
I am going to carry additional layers with each set.
A Fleece, long sleeve thermal, thermal long johns and my base layer is a t-shirt.
All layers are polyester!
I made the mistake of wearing Cotton, Cotton, and a bit more Cotton last year.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not believe that “waterproof” and “breathable” can co-exist. As some point, the waterproof part will give way to the breathable part, and you’ll be wet. Water-resistant and breathable? Fine. Water-PROOF and breathable? I don’t buy it.

I use USGI ponchos for rain and it works fine, but I have to say I had one fail on me this season. I think it is coated in some type of waterproofing agent (like polyurethane), but something got to the poly and made it fail (could have been something I washed it in). Anyway, I usually bring two ponchos for rain; one to wear and one to sit on for when I take a break from still hunting. When I still hunt and I find a nice spot with cover while moving, I will sometimes sit for an hour to see if anything comes my way. That is, until I need to get up and moving again!

I am very interested in ASAT’s rain gear. It sounds like it’s something that you could easily keep in your pack for a rainy day, and is easier to deal with than a poncho (you can be caught with your arms in the wrong spot with a poncho if you need to quickly fire upon spotted game). http://astacamo.stores.yahoo.net/asatraingear.html

For your base layer, you need polypropylene, not polyester. You DON’T need expensive UnderArmor, etc. What you need is what you SHOULD find at your local military surplus store (or a GOOD local hunt/fish shop, but probably not Bass Pro, Gander Mtn, etc). Just look for USGI ECWCS base layers. They are made by either Rothco or Tullahoma. Bottoms, top and balaclava (the latter if it’s cold enough) and gloves. Also, pick up some polypropylene socks. I have THIN pairs and pairs of normal boot sock thickness. If it’s not too cold, I wear the normal boot socks. If it is cold, I wear the thin pair under a pair of merino wool socks. If it is super cold, I wear all three.

FWIW, I don’t like carrying my gear in backpack when still hunting. The pack invariably makes me get really sweaty directly under the pack. This year, I picked up a used utility belt with suspenders at the mil surplus store. I attach all the gear I need to the belt, including extra layers of clothing. The clothing goes in a compression sack and attaches to the rear of the belt like a bedroll or something. I find I sweat much less this way.

It’s tough for me to find the balance between how much clothing I need to bring, etc, especially since I still hunt almost every outing, coupled with sitting for an hour or so here and there. You don’t want to make too much movement putting on clothing, but you don’t want to freeze your ass off either.

To poop from coveralls, I guess you just gotta take ‘em off! I have no idea. I do not poop in the woods, and never have had to fight off the urge. For some reason, my body requires very little food when I’m out hunting (2 Clif bars for a full day of hunting), and it knows not to poop until it’s home.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:12 AM
Spike

Thanks for the good info.
I think I will try to find a USG1 poncho for my pack. They look to run about $30 - $45 which is fine as long as they work.

As for the polypropylene 1st layer, I would like to switch my order but I already have this coming in. Cabelas claims it wicks really well and I assume it is meant to be a first layer.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:32 AM
Typical Buck

where in NY are you hunting?
as for rain gear,
i would consider sound of the gear,
would use poncho's and such for trekking to and from places,
the plastics most ponchos are made of will rustle and sound off game,
but when actually hunting would consider a water restitant fabric, which can come in different quieter forms
in light rain, fabrics are are fine, even in more rain for short periods,
also i would not recomend stalking in NY,
i have land in upstate NY and wouldnt do it even on my own land,
also majority of NY terrain is not good for stalking,
Old 11-11-2010, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
where in NY are you hunting?
as for rain gear,
i would consider sound of the gear,
would use poncho's and such for trekking to and from places,
the plastics most ponchos are made of will rustle and sound off game,
but when actually hunting would consider a water restitant fabric, which can come in different quieter forms
in light rain, fabrics are are fine, even in more rain for short periods,
also i would not recomend stalking in NY,
i have land in upstate NY and wouldnt do it even on my own land,
also majority of NY terrain is not good for stalking,
Larry Koller, the author of Shots At Whitetails, would probably disagree with you were he still alive. He got most of kills while still hunting the Catskills.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UltimateSwagger
As for the polypropylene 1st layer, I would like to switch my order but I already have this coming in. Cabelas claims it wicks really well and I assume it is meant to be a first layer.
I guess you'll just have to see how it does. The polypro stuff I'm talking about is thicker than just a t-shirt. When I first sit in the morning, I am wearing insulated bibs and coat. When I am ready to still hunt, I take the jacket and bibs off and am hunting in my BDUs and t-shirt (with the polypro base layers), which I am already wearing under the bibs and jacket. But I am sure it's colder where you are.

The poncho can be noisy when it is dry. When it is wet it is not noisy at all, and obviously the sound of the rain dampens most quieter sounds. I am not saying the poncho is the best, I am saying that I have a few and they work for me, but I would PREFER to have a rain suit like I listed above.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Typical Buck

oh god have any of you guys in ny notice the lack of movement. i saw 2 does early in the season and havnt seen any sicne
Old 11-11-2010, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by marlin30/30_drabe
oh god have any of you guys in ny notice the lack of movement. i saw 2 does early in the season and havnt seen any sicne
NO FREAKING KIDDING. I haven't seen much at all, but I am in VA, not NY. Yesterday all I saw were two does flying thru the woods with flags up. To me, that doesn't even count because something spooked them from whatever they were normally doing, which didn't involve being near where I was!!
Old 11-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Spike

I am going to hunt in the Southern Zone, by Mongaup Valley and Bear Springs Mountain.
Edit, sorry that was in response to Terasec.

@7.62NATO

Yeah I hope the shirt works out, I already spent much more money than I should have to figure out what works best for me. I am sure the polyester will be a lot better than the 2 or 3 layers of cotton I wore last year heh.

Last edited by UltimateSwagger; 11-11-2010 at 08:45 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 08:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely better than cotton. Wear cotton in the cold if you want to die of hypothermia from all the sweat freezing against your body!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.