Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What does everyone think about on stand? >

What does everyone think about on stand?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What does everyone think about on stand?

Old 11-11-2010, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

the first five minutes usually involves intense focus. after that my mind wanders off into different thoughts about what is going on in my life. things im planning for the future. other deer i have killed in that spot. being up there in the stand is also like a sort of confession for me. I think about the ways i have handled different things and how i could be a little more christian about them in the future. I try to quiz myself on the different trees and to enjoy the sounds of nature despite the fact that those sounds are generally everything but a deer. I think about supper. I think about how much dang noise I will be making getting down with my noisy loggy bayou climber that makes my back spasm every half hour or so. then I think about how I dont have money for a new one. then I think about whether the deer have been hitting on my scents I have out or if they have been eating on my corn pile(if applicable). thats the tip of the iceberg. I will say that even without killing a deer, I come out of the woods with a clear head that most city folks pay thousands of dollars to a therapist for and will never have. Yes you are a normal hunter and probably more sane than most of the general population.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

"If I fart, will it spook them? I'm sure their farts make noise sometimes, but I bet they don't stink like mine do. When my dog farts, it smells like hell. But deer don't eat dog food. Or table scraps."
Old 11-11-2010, 10:46 AM
Dominant Buck

I think a lot about the hunt and life in general. I always enjoy the day. When I am hunting I can think about anything and everything.
Old 11-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Spike

Ted Nugent said there would be hunts like this...
Old 11-11-2010, 12:18 PM
Spike

I never think about work! Usually I'll think this is crazy. It's too cold to be here I should have stayed in the bed with my wife or it's too hot the deer aren't going to move I should have stayed in bed with my wife. Then after the Sun is up I remember why I do it..... it's not about the deer I've taken, it's abut being out in the woods. I love being out on a crisp fall morning, seeing the woods come to life! Then around 10 Why am I out here again???? But I stay, I do it every year.
Old 11-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I usually think about how I wish I would have had a passion for something that involved warmer weather and getting out of bed later in the day like surfing or reef diving(neither of which I've ever done). Then I usually debate how long I can hold out before I eat my butterscotch krimpets....well that covers my 1st half hour in the stand anyway.

I then usually debate the fact if I am insane or not for being excited to get up at 330am to put a bunch of warm clothes just to sit in the freezing cold and hope to see a deer.

Mainly though, I think about my father who loved taking me hunting and passed away when I was thirteen years old(38 now)5 and how I didn't get to spend many seasons in the woods with him and what he might think of me now.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't hunt from a stand myself. I'm glassing.While glassing I'm concentrating my mind on animals.See lots and lots of 200 class stumps and wish they were deer.I mind sometimes wonders to sex
actually happens alot. But the minute my mind starts to wonder
I bring it back to reallity. So it's hunting deer, wishing these stumps were bucks and bringing hot babes to orgasms.That's about it.
Old 11-11-2010, 01:21 PM
Fork Horn

Default In the vein of David Letterman's Top Ten, here we go.

TOP 10 THINGS I LIKE TO THINK ABOUT IN MY HUNTING STAND
10. Keep track of how many different positions I can get into in this God forsaken stand,while attempting not to have some part of my body turn numb and fall asleep.
9. Try to visualize what hunting would be like if I actual WON the freaking lottery and could afford the best of everything; gun, bow, outfit, the whole shlameel and then realizeI'd probably see just as much of nothin as I'm seein right now.
8. Just wonderin what I'd look like if I had my picture in Deer and Deer Hunting magazine holding up that 16 point buck's head, which has been in my mind for the past 48 years.
7. How the hell do they get ahold of that doe and make her secreat in a bottle.
6. Just as a stocking stuffer, I'm going to get my son a "Butt-Out" tool, and let his girlfriend try to figure out what it is. Aaahhh, nothin says Xmas like "Butt-Out"!!
5. I'd like to see if a deer really can't figure I'm wearing orange camo or not, just because he sure doesn't act that way. I must look like a giant pumpkin or something.
4. I've been known to say a few decats of the rosary while hunting. Just thinking that God'swatching and saying "Hey, he's praying down there! I'll just send him a nice big rack to see how much he shakes and misses. C'mon everyone, let's Watch!!!"
3. It's amazing how a song will get in your head, and how many times you let it go rightthrough it in a 12 hour day.
2. I've got 6 kids, so the crapola that goes through my mind in one day's hunt can fill up4 Garbage Trucks. Thoughts like tuition, real estate tax payments, con freaking ed, doctor bills, tuition, leaky roofs, honey do's, income taxes, do I have any gin left?, what's on TV tonight, did I mention tuition, what's for supper?, I need an automaticmachine gun for these #$%*'n squirrels, HE's Your Boyfriend??, what year is this?
1. I listen to the ever changing woods which sometimes comes to life from a dead quiet, dead calm to a hustle and bustle like Grand Central Station from birds, squirrels, bugs, wind,back and forth, in and out, all day long, and THAT's what keeps me coming back for more.
And seein some freakin deer would be nice too!!!!!

Last edited by accman; 11-11-2010 at 01:25 PM.
Old 11-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Spike

Tiffany Kawasaki
Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 PM
Spike

i think how nice it would be to come home and the kids are gone for the nite and its just me and my women and then i realize fat chance and think about different hunting situations and were i should have put this stand

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.