HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Will caffeine ruin your shooting? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/333815-will-caffeine-ruin-your-shooting.html)

gringojosh 11-09-2010 05:44 PM

Will caffeine ruin your shooting?

OK so I'm not a morning person. But I face the dilemma of (1) must drink lots of coffee to wake up; (2) lots of coffee makes sight picture dance like pinball machine. Does anyone else have this problem?

iSnipe 11-09-2010 05:55 PM

If you're bench shooting and looking for that type accuracy, then most definitely. I've even had some minor shakes sighting in my gun and recognized the extra movement other than my heart beat. I still got it sighted in, but I won't do that again prior to shooting!

Now if you're hunting deer and your shot isn't to the next county, then I think you'll be ok.

I'd be more worried with you and buck fever, ie, adrenaline rush, and you fillin' your pants. LOL!

Good luck,

iSnipe

salukipv1 11-09-2010 08:02 PM

read an article about shooting, and they said avoid the coffee! you'll shoot worse with coffee in your system, plain and simple!

Wingbone 11-10-2010 02:15 AM

I agree. If I have more than 1 cup of coffee before hunting, it affects my shooting too much. One cup, I can live with.

ADVWannabee 11-10-2010 03:11 AM

I believe I would shoot worse without coffee. :)

DDMPrecision 11-10-2010 03:17 AM

Caffeine is a stimulant. Faster heartbeat, more jerky motions, and slightly faster reaction times are the result. None of which enhance extended range precision accuracy, as they tend to translate directly into your trigger control, sight picture's erratic appearance, and (unless you have something to deaden it), a jumpy firearm, even on a bench.
If you must have some, tread lightly.
Otherwise, drink OJ or grapefruit juice. They both contain natural elements that "wake" us up, but in a much more gentle fashion.

lovethebigguns 11-10-2010 03:41 AM

I HAVE to have caffeine Saturday morning or I wouldn't stay awake in the stand! It's our opening day of firearms season and I won't sleep worth a crap Friday night, and as a tradition we all get together at mom and dad's between 4:30 and 5:00 for a big breakfast! So...that being said, caffeine in the stand is pretty essential for me!

I will say this, when I shot in indoor archery leagues, I had to avoid caffeine like the plague. With that kind of accuracy and consistancy required, there was a noticable difference (for the worse) in my groups if I drank coffee or Mtn. Dew before I shot my 60 arrows.

But...as some of them have said, the caffiene shakes PALE in comparison to the way I shake when a deer is in front of me anyway!!

Jeff Ovington 11-10-2010 03:55 AM

I drink it.Haven't had any problems with killing any animals or hitting the target yet. Maybe you may shoot better, maybe not . It's all individual perspective everyones different. But you ain't gonna see, shoot , and kill squat, if your not awake or alert. And coffee wakes me up. I'm not gonna change that habbit.

PY Antlers 11-10-2010 04:40 AM

I think it depends on how much caffine your used to. I am a caffine addict, drink a pot of coffee in the morning and go from that right into Mtn. Dew, probably 5-6 cans a day and then a couple cups of coffee after supper. With that said, I have no trouble focusing on my target and drive nails at 200 yards with the 7mm and with the Mathews Drenalin (lol) at 30 yards. I'm pretty sure I would shoot worse without

Duckbutter48 11-10-2010 04:51 AM

I think it all depends on the person. The only time coffee has messed up one of my shots is when I cannot put my thermos down fast enough to grab the rifle.

I can drink a cup of coffee laying in bed and getting ready for sleep but for some folks the caffeine shock may mess with them.

I've seem the same thing with folks who usually don't chew tobacco. They decide hunting week is the week they will get some skoal or chew. Next thing you know they are ready to head back in because they feel sick and dizzy.

Drugs affect people in different ways, so yea some folks shouldn't drink it and in some folks it makes no difference.