Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What do you really need in a game cam? >

What do you really need in a game cam?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What do you really need in a game cam?

Old 11-09-2010, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do you really need in a game cam?

When I first started hunting, I was opposed to the idea of game cams. But the more I think about them, the more they seem to make sense given that I don’t have land in my own backyard to hunt (i.e. easier to make time to scout), have a full-time job, and have a family of four. As I have learned already this season, you can scout all you want, but there’s a real chance that a lot of the sign you’re seeing are made only at night. Since I can’t make my living as a star hunter (and thus dedicate all working hours, all days of the year towards it), game cameras make a lot of sense, at least when it comes to trying to attempt to nail down a pattern for the deer in your area. Though it would be cool to see pics of big bucks, the PRIMARY reason I would want the cameras is to pattern the deer.

But what do you really NEED in a game cam? There are some really expensive ones on the market, and some not so expensive. I really don’t care about any crazy features, hi-resolution photos, video, on-board viewer, etc, etc. I just need it to take a picture when there’s a deer in range, time stamp it, give me the ability to swap memory cards out and easily replace batteries or whatever. Oh, and I need it to WORK. The cheaper the better (used is definitely an option) ‘cause the cheaper it is, the more cams I can get.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:07 PM
Spike

I think what you need depends on a lot of different things. Is it going to be a trail cam or a feeder cam? If it is a trial cam you need a camera with a fast trigger time. If it is a feeder cam you can get away with a less expensive camera with a slower trigger.

Is theft a problem where you will be putting your camera? If so, then size, security box availability and a security code function might be important.

Personally, I have never had luck with <$150 cameras. I have a moultrie I-60 and a Scout Guard that I have been very happy with.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:23 PM
Spike

I want the same things you do in a cam but the problem is the cheaper ones may work but only for a short time. Between me and several buddies we have used several different brands in several different price ranges and had several different problems with them. Its up to you what you buy but you have to ask yourself do i want to buy 2, 3, 4, cheaper cams that function properly for 6, 7, 8, months or spend a little extra on one or two that'll last a couple of years. Ive owned moultries that the flash quit working after 6 months, stealthcams that let moisture in and quit after 3 months, and a cuddeback that took fuzzy pics all the time. Imo the cuddeback capture is a good reasonably priced cam that is as durable as any ive had experience with. Had one that had to be returned but between me and my friends we have 7 of them out 6 months a year and havent had any more problems. 4 of them are over three years old. My dad has two 5mp stealth cams that he gave 119$ for and they have worked without issue for two years. So its kindof a gamble as to what u get but im about to order another capture for 179$.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
When I first started hunting, I was opposed to the idea of game cams. But the more I think about them, the more they seem to make sense given that I don’t have land in my own backyard to hunt (i.e. easier to make time to scout), have a full-time job, and have a family of four. As I have learned already this season, you can scout all you want, but there’s a real chance that a lot of the sign you’re seeing are made only at night. Since I can’t make my living as a star hunter (and thus dedicate all working hours, all days of the year towards it), game cameras make a lot of sense, at least when it comes to trying to attempt to nail down a pattern for the deer in your area. Though it would be cool to see pics of big bucks, the PRIMARY reason I would want the cameras is to pattern the deer.

But what do you really NEED in a game cam? There are some really expensive ones on the market, and some not so expensive. I really don’t care about any crazy features, hi-resolution photos, video, on-board viewer, etc, etc. I just need it to take a picture when there’s a deer in range, time stamp it, give me the ability to swap memory cards out and easily replace batteries or whatever. Oh, and I need it to WORK. The cheaper the better (used is definitely an option) ‘cause the cheaper it is, the more cams I can get.
get a wildveiw. best lower end cam out there. i got a 9 point saturday from seeing where they go what time of the day !
Old 11-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Fork Horn

It seems to me that cheaper cameras use the batteries a lot faster and cost more overtime from that viewpoint because you have to figure fuel and time to go change them twice as often. YMMV
Old 11-09-2010, 12:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm on the side of cheap cams. I have a couple Wildviews, 1.3 and a 2.0. Short flash range and both have issues. They are about 3-4 years old.

I just recently got a couple Wildgame Innovations (S-2). So far I like what I see. I plan on getting a few more. I'm not crazy about their mounting system though.
I also have a Wally world $50 Tasco. Its not bad for the price.

Why do I favor cheap cameras? The way I see it, cheaper means you can get more of them. I am always wishing I had a couple more when I'm out scouting. Its like covering more ground in a shorter period of time. Want to know where the best spot is for the first day or the upcoming weekend, set out a half dozen and see which camera catches what you want to see when you hunt.

If you only have one or two expensive cameras, your stuck with limited scouting.

Also when it comes to theft, I'd rather lose a $50 camera than a $400 anyday.

Expensive cameras are better made, I just like having more cameras and can't afford a half dozen expensive ones.

Cheaper cameras may have slower trigger times, but I take that into consideration when I set them up. Just aim it down the trail instead of across a trail.

To each his own!
Old 11-09-2010, 12:53 PM
Typical Buck

Cheaply priced, long battery life, good pics, easy to set up,
Moultrie...
Old 11-09-2010, 03:12 PM
Fork Horn

Definitely look used. You can get a high end camera for the price of a low end camera... I just picked up a Bushnell Trophy Cam Bone Collector Edition, a 16 GB card, and all the batteries for $100. Buying new that is a $300 value. A friend of a friend bought it two weeks ago, set it up for two nights, and then his dad sold that land so now he didn't have anywhere to put it. When he said $100 I jumped on it.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

Try Tasco 3MP Digital Camera with Infared Night Vision.
At Wal-Mart for $50.00
This video happened at ‎Thursday, ‎October ‎14, ‎2010, ‏‎12:20 PM

http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd426/jrbsr/My%20Videos%20and%20Pictures/?action=view&current=Deertopleft.mp4

This video happened at ‎Thursday, ‎October ‎14, ‎2010, ‏‎12:25 PM

http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd426/jrbsr/My%20Videos%20and%20Pictures/?action=view&current=LittleGuy2.mp4

This video happened at ‎Thursday, ‎October ‎14, ‎2010, ‏‎12:26 PM

http://s1219.photobucket.com/albums/dd426/jrbsr/My%20Videos%20and%20Pictures/?action=view&current=LittleGuy.mp4

Here is a picture that something triggered, but was at the wrong height.
To high.