Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Boycott Dick' s sporting goods.... >

Boycott Dick' s sporting goods....

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Boycott Dick' s sporting goods....

Old 07-16-2003, 01:55 PM

Default Boycott Dick' s sporting goods....

I posted this at another sight, but I was wondering how far reaching this problem is.

Has anyone else come across this attitude? I was in Dick' s sporting goods the other night killin' time and just looking around at the hunting counter. I noticed that they did not carry handguns at all. When I inquired about why, the clerk told me handguns had absolutely no hunting value at all. When I explained to him that handgun hunting was one of the fastest growing sports in this country he laughed and told me that it was just a ' novelty' and wasn' t worth seriuos consideration. I told him I have been handgun hunting for many years and for me it was absolutely the best way to hunt deer. All he could do is preach bowhunting to me. I also told him that I would not patronize their stores again and that I would also be starting this boycott.

The guy was a real jerk. Places that really cater to the hunting population don' t hire guys like this.

Dave
Old 07-16-2003, 02:01 PM

Default RE: Boycott Dick' s sporting goods....

No handguns at a " Sporting Goods Store" ? I guess Dick' s doesn' t take into account the handgun shooting " sports" and cowboy shooting " sports" are some of the fastest growing non-hunting sports in the shooting sports eclipsed only I believe by sporting clays.

I think that Dick' s will go the way of Rusty' s sporting goods.
Old 07-16-2003, 05:28 PM

BTW Dave,

Was that the Dick' s Sporting Goods in Wichita, KS? It will be a store I won' t set foot in.
Old 07-16-2003, 06:13 PM
DL2

So....your going to boycott a store just because the clerk of the store had an opinion - that could, or could not be the same as the store owner?

Old 07-16-2003, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

He does know that the store doesn' t carry handgus.
Old 07-16-2003, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

No handguns on display, that’s not be a problem up here. Handguns for hunting. I wish. Handguns up here is a restricted weapon and can only be used at gun clubs
Old 07-17-2003, 02:49 AM

I hear you Trailer....been a fellow Canadian I only wish we could hunt with handguns as I have a nice .44 Mag & a .357 Mag that i' d love to try on some whitetails!!!!!!!!!!! Brampton Mike [8D]
Old 07-17-2003, 08:54 AM
Spike

Hey MarkllVT, I think they are talking about the national chain Dicks, Not our local owned Dicks thats out by Andover. I hated to see Rusty,s go, just because it was out by my house and was convenient. They kind of priced thereselves out of business if you ask me.
Old 07-17-2003, 11:59 AM

I' m talkin about the Dick' s around 21st and Rock in Wichita.

Handgun' s and handgun hunting are legal here, and I try to patronize as much as I can the stores that carry handguns.

Yes, I would boycott the store chain for the actions of one of their employees especially when they sound as if they have a personel agenda they' re pushing. These clerks are hired by those chains to represent the company they work for and to provide a service to the GENERAL HUNTING PUBLIC and are there to present the face of the company. It' s probably very safe to say that his opnion is probably a product of his environment and his job is a big part of that enviroment. If he begins to sound like he has a soft spot in his heart for Sara Brady' s agenda - you bet I can justify a Boycott on the chain(especially if they are hunting and firearms Businesses).

The company is untimately responsible for the actions of the people they hire when their employee' s are on the job. When you talk to these people as a representative of that business that person IS speaking for the company he works for. Is he following the policy line of the company? That' s a responsibility that falls on the employee and the company - NOT THE CUSTOMER!!!

Dave