Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to “do” deer camp?

Old 11-08-2010, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

what part of the mountains are you lookin at? I live in the shenandoah valley
Old 11-08-2010, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

My family has a olddd house about a mile from where we hunt, Its where we stay when we dont feel like driving 45 minutes to an hour from town. Its nothing fancy, With a kitchen, livingroom,just a bunch of old couches and a fireplace, a ""dorm" with 3 bunk beds and 2 large beds, a bathroom and a shower, and when it gets cold the only heat source we have is a ancient old furnace heater thing. What i love about the deer camp is its a chance for all the old friends and family members to eat and lodge together, and it creates a nice place to come back and take a nap or talk about the previous hunts with your loved ones. Its almost like a camping experience. and i love it (: its one of my favorite things about hunting!
-Bayou
Old 11-09-2010, 09:43 AM
Fork Horn

Our deer camp started like the tent setup Glockman55 showed back in 1950. The guys got permission to hunt the small section of land and wound up buying it. Placed a trailer on it. Over the years attached a house to it and got permission from the adjacent landowners to give them some workdays and we'd have hunting rights to the club. Grew to 25 guys, 650 acres, and I had the pleasure of hunting my first year as a member in 68. Dues are really inexpensive at $250, but other clubs in the area charge 400 or 500, but it includes meals and a cook. We have no running water, just an outhouse, but it's home to us. Having everyone at the camp on the night before opening day is what we wait 330 days for. I've taken off the friday before to bow hunt the morning, and head to the camp in the afternoon. It's good to have the keg tapped, as well as some of the best food the guys can bring up. Smoke turkey, venison sausage and pepperoni, backstraps, loins, God, it's an eating fest. I, being called the "City Boy" still after all these years bring up the equivalent of Authur Avenue in the Bronx with Italian Sopressata, boccacini, prosciutto, roasted peppers, stuffed hot cherry peppers, etc. And I make the best Pasta Fagioli, which I usually bring up a 20 qt pot and it's gone in a week.
My son and I usually hunt the weekends and the friday after Thanksgiving. I wouldn't trade that time of year, even if I could hunt for the "Trophy Buck" someplace else for free cause those other 23 guys are my "Family" too. Knowing who's in the woods, knowing they follow all the rules, responsible hunters, makes all the difference in the world. Good luck to all.