Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How high are the braches above a scrape usually? >

How high are the braches above a scrape usually?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How high are the braches above a scrape usually?

Old 11-08-2010, 11:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default How high are the braches above a scrape usually?

I was out bowhunting/ walking around earlier down this Old grown up road, and ran up upon a rub that was on a tree probably allmost the size of a softball, and probably 50 or so yards on down was a pretty decent sized scrape. Didnt look entirely fresh but didnt look real old either. But the thing is everytime i have found a scrape, the branch above it was usually like 3 feet or so, but this one was a good 5 1/2 foot. Had the end broke off of it and everything, just like the ones i have found that were shorter. I have just never saw anything like this one before.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Could have been a mock scrape someone else made, or it could be that the buck broke off the branch and it looks higher now than it was. I have seen them about 4 feet off the ground and, for some reason, the licking branch has ALWAYS been a holly.
Old 11-08-2010, 11:43 AM
Fork Horn

They can reach pretty high when they want to!!

Old 11-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Fork Horn

I see some where small trees (the size of my finger) are rubbed and a scrape right by it, I think this is very young bucks fighting the tree so to say. I can honestly not recall seeing a scrape under a limb less than 3 1/2 feet and usually not 4 feet. I have seen them that were pushing 6 feet to the licking branch. Something I am seeing on trailcams now is a LOT of bucks visiting scrapes but not cleaning them out. The little bucks are chasing pretty hard too.