Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How to de stink a Euro Mount Skull >

How to de stink a Euro Mount Skull

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to de stink a Euro Mount Skull

Old 11-07-2010, 02:28 PM
Spike

Default How to de stink a Euro Mount Skull

Well,
I have my Deer skull clean but it still has a smell. Any ideas what I can do do de stink it?

Old 11-07-2010, 02:59 PM
Spike

Power wash then soak in hydrogen peroxide for a few hours
Old 11-07-2010, 03:02 PM
Spike

So id just wrap the horns well enough and fill pot up with the peroxide? what strength peroxide? Thanks for the help!!
Brian
Old 11-07-2010, 03:16 PM
Spike

if u use rubberbands to hold cotton balls to the skull and soak them in salon grade peroxide
Old 11-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Fork Horn

AFter the meat has entirely sloughed off (you may need to loosely brush some of it) soak it in a solution of Dawn dish soap water for a few weeks. It will degrease it. Remove all remnants of meat, fat etc. , I use an air hose to blow out the cavities (carefull, the teeth will go flying and bacteria laden glop will blow all around). When the skull is effectively clean, dry a day or so then soak in a solution of hydrogen peroxide to kill the bacteria and bleach it. It doesnt have to be all that strong- a quart of over the counter stuff from kmart in enough water to cover the skull is good enough, for a day or two. Then thoroughly rinse it to remove the peroxide. AFter drying, spray with acrylic clear spray.
Old 11-07-2010, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well if you can get 30 volume hydrogen peroxide that would be your best bet to use.I pretty sure it's 9% maybe 10% Hydrogen Peroxide.. you can get this stuff at the local pharmacy but it would be in the womens hair lightner and developer section. I couldn't get it where I live.The best I can get is 3% or 10% vol. Never tryed the hair care isle though.My Mom was a Bio Chemist and a Science Teacher so I managed to get that stuff from her. You can also try a hair salon.

Last edited by Jeff Ovington; 11-07-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Good Job, it looks like the antlers got a little "toastie" next time wrap them in foil, you can take a stiff brush and take a lot of that off. I would just try and soak the skull in a strong mixture of borax, It just might work. Good Luck, Doc
Old 11-07-2010, 06:22 PM
Fork Horn

I would soak it in bleach water (2 cups/gallon) once I had all the particles removed. Guarenteed to remove any odors as well as disinfect and clean.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:14 PM
Fork Horn

NO DO NOT SOAK IN BLEACH!!!!! Soaking in bleach will destroy the skull. The bleach will eat right through anything it comes in contact with. Never use bleach on a european mount.

U macerated right? That's why the smell is so bad...go to a local pool store or online and by yourself some Baquacil...

http://www.pools.com

Pour the chemical into the container u plan on soaking your skull in. Then wrap the base of the antlers as good as u can so none of the chemical can get to the horns. WEAR EYE AND HAND| PROTECTION!!! If u get this stuff in your eyes it can potentially blind u and will burn your skin so dont mess around using this chemical. I cant stress it enough!! Never mix chemicals and always be concious when pouring. Once u place your skkull in CAREFULLY....let it soak. This method will eliminate your stink, degrease your skull and make it as white as u can get it. Ive been doing european mounts for quite some time and this is the way to go. But again be careful. Good luck and congrats on the buck.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Totally off topic, but Brian, your knives are fantastic.

Are you taking orders? How much do they run? What's the wait time?
I've been looking for a nice new fixed blade knife for gutting and skinning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.