HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Without a climber (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/333599-without-climber.html)

llpaintball 11-07-2010 01:41 PM

Without a climber

Hey guys im hunting my friends property where I go to school and I usually always hunt from a stand, but this time I wont have one with me. Ive been scouting the area and found a few rubs and a scrape but im not sure where to set up where I wont be seen. Theres a little field but the problem is there is high grasses or plants on the edge and its very hard to see out of, and there is a hill in the middle so its impossible to see both sides of the field. Any advice would be appreciated.

SecondChance 11-07-2010 01:47 PM

Tough deal without a climer or loc-on and sticks. May have to try back from fields edge where the grass is not so tall and find a trail leading into or out of the field they are using and find a downed tree top or brush pile to hide up in.

llpaintball 11-07-2010 01:56 PM

yea thanks second chance.. i was thinking pretty much the same thing. I know its tough to answer without seeing the land for yourself, but I have found a few trails leading to the field. gonna give them a shot in the morning

blueahlijr 11-07-2010 02:14 PM

Find some nice bush to hide it (after cutting some of the branches away inside), Or Gather Branches and tall grass, Build ur own wrap around blind. Then u can leave it there alway,s plus all the animals, not just the deer, will get use to it.

SecondChance 11-07-2010 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by blueahlijr (Post 3717195)
Find some nice bush to hide it (after cutting some of the branches away inside), Or Gather Branches and tall grass, Build ur own wrap around blind. Then u can leave it there alway,s plus all the animals, not just the deer, will get use to it.

Problem with this is that they already know EVERY piece of grass in that field and its edges. If you were to go cutting away any areas to make a blind, they will know and avoid it. If you just look inside a tad from the edges, you will find what you are looking for and not have to make but a snip here and a snip there for just a stray twig or so. Nothing drastic, nothing new out of place.

allflockedup 11-07-2010 03:20 PM

me and a buddie jut took bucks from the gound had a spot were deer were crossing a feild and it was really thick on the edge of the wood we to had a hill in the middle of the feild and that is were we set directly in the middle of the soy bean and had very good succsess

llpaintball 11-08-2010 08:07 AM

headin out in a little while, wish me luck

accman 11-08-2010 09:23 AM

When I first went to an area, I use ground blinds to check out whether it's worth a stand or not. Keep the camo ground blind material around, find 3 or 4 close trees, rap it around, pin it, a stool and your in business. No snipping or cutting of brush, and you can change from one side of the hill to the other fairly easy. When you decide which is your best option, then make some snips, firing lanes, setups, and go. Good Luck.

halfbakedi420 11-08-2010 09:40 AM

get a popup blind, stick it right on top of the hill, i have seen a guy do this with a blue tent, and was totally successful. the deer walked right by him. even though they got 1 already, another came by so his wife even got one.