Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Signals deer give

Old 11-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by stabnslab_WI
I was under the impression that when a deer stomp's its not communication, she or he is trying to get you to move. Watch as they move their head quick, bobbing up and down. Predators love chase and that is what she mimicing, she is pretending to bolt hence trying to get you to move. Their name Whitetail say's it all. That is the warning flag, a nice bright white flag. I have had does pretend to be eating staring me down the whole time waiting for me to move.
I do know they do a variety of things to try to get you to move, yes. I wonder if the foot-stomping could serve two purposes? Perhaps it releases a scent and it's an attempt to get you to move (?)
Old 11-09-2010, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Something I observed a week ago was a Doe communicating with her fawn who froze when her mom got a little of my sent getting upwind of me. She did her high hoofing steps and halfway raised her tail and also blew a half hearted alarm. She stood there looking at the direction I was in but was not sure where I was,it was almost dark. After about a couple of minutes she made a quick soft sound and the fawn trotted over to her and they moved on. It was interesting to observe the communication between them.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

So what happens when deer run or jump logs? They leaving warning scent all over. I would like to believe this but Im not. Your telling me they are releasing this scent on command?

Yep, that's what I'm telling you.

What makes a deer run?

They prefer to go under or around obstacles but will jump them too.

Probably does release scent then also.

Deer have those glands between their hooves and they serve a purpose.

Deer have several glands. We all know about the tarsal. They also have the meta tarsal. They got glands on their forehead, near eyes and in their nose too. They all serve a purpose.

You don't have to believe me, I'm just telling you what happens when they stomp their foot.

Last edited by Windwalker7; 11-09-2010 at 03:17 PM.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

So what happens when deer run or jump logs? They leaving warning scent all over. I would like to believe this but Im not. Your telling me they are releasing this scent on command?
Do some research. It may help you become a better hunter. This website is just the first one I came across but it explains the different glands and there functions.
http://deerfever.com/archives/86
Old 11-12-2010, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Hunter_59
Do some research. It may help you become a better hunter. This website is just the first one I came across but it explains the different glands and there functions.
http://deerfever.com/archives/86
Haven't seen this site before, thank you.