Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Fish story..... well, DEER story I guess. >

Fish story..... well, DEER story I guess.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fish story..... well, DEER story I guess.

Old 11-06-2010, 08:36 AM
Fork Horn

Default Fish story..... well, DEER story I guess.

This may sound like "the one that got away" but I wanted to tell someone anyway.

This morning I git up to a BRISK 22 degree Kansas morning and headed to my stand. Shortly after I got there I heard what sounded like a buck chasing a doe right under me. I was pretty jazzed that I was getting movement, but it was still pitch black out. After freezing my @$$ off for 4 hours I got down and walked about a mile to another place that I can hunt but never have. Saw some good rubs and scrapes, and some fresh tracks. I decided to back out and maybe set up there at about 4pm. On the way out I saw my neighbors horses by the fence so I laid my bow down and walk over to them. I was clicking my tongue trying to get them to come to the fence, and talking to them... wasn't happening, so I turned to walk away. I caught some movement out of the corner of my eye, and about 80 yards away I see a doe in the middle of a field. At this point I have NO cover, and just slowly crouch down and get out the binos. Another doe pops out of the brush, then another, but they are all still lookin behind them. That's when "the buck" came out! I saw bone WAY before I saw him! He was, by a LARGE margin bigger than any buck I have ever seen in person (live or mount). No way I'd get close enough for a bow shot so I just watched to see if I could anticipate where they were going to go. The does began to work my way, and when the buck turned toward me that is when I noticed he had one massive typical 8 point left-side rack, and either a stubby or broken ride side. I watched them for 5 minutes and then they headed off. they never really busted me but they knew something wasn't right over in my direction. I will be headed out his way this afternoon, and if that right side is a deformity I will try and take him so I can reduce that gene in our heard and post some picts

Take care

Don
Old 11-06-2010, 08:46 AM
Typical Buck

Good luck tonight! I'll be out as well. Maybe you'll get him.
Live it up! Doug
Old 11-06-2010, 08:48 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Doug!
All things considered I would rather get one of his doe's for the freezer and just get a picture of the "one-sided bruiser"!

Good luck!

Don
Old 11-06-2010, 09:16 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by BIG DONNIE BRASCO
Thanks Doug!
All things considered I would rather get one of his doe's for the freezer and just get a picture of the "one-sided bruiser"!

Good luck!

Don
Hope it all goes well! Here's a pic of an odd one I bow killed a few years ago 3 points on one side no brow tine and 1 long spike and brow tine on the other.
Live it up! Doug
Attached Thumbnails Fish story..... well, DEER story I guess.-picture.jpg  
Old 11-06-2010, 06:00 PM
Fork Horn

KSWILD

I have a trail cam pic off of a new property we acquired this year that is dang near identical to the one you have mounted. Ill try and post a pic tomorrow night once I get back to my computer.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:13 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by IOWABUCKHUNTR
KSWILD

I have a trail cam pic off of a new property we acquired this year that is dang near identical to the one you have mounted. Ill try and post a pic tomorrow night once I get back to my computer.
That would be cool! After I killed that one I noticed they were pretty common and I don't know what causes it. I originally thought that maybe it was from an injury to the base of the antler. The base on the spike side is 3 times as big as it should be. If anyone know if this is genetics or from an injury.... share with us I would like to know. IowaBuckHunter I look forward to see the pic. Be safe and good luck! BTW Donnie I didn't see anything but a couple squirrels moving. Hope you did better!
Live it up! Doug
Old 11-06-2010, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

Cool man. If ya pass on 'em, hope ya get him next year and he's bigger! I'll post a pic of a wierd rack tommorow of a buck I got a few years ago. I'll have to find his skull in the back and take a pic. He was 4 points on 1 side and his other was a spike and it curled down like a ram. I guess it broke and grew down while in velvet.
Old 11-07-2010, 06:43 PM
Typical Buck

Still awaiting a pic IowaBuckHunter! I'm curious as to what your looked like!
Live it up! Doug
Old 11-07-2010, 08:40 PM
Fork Horn

This happened to me two years ago. I was in a stand overlooking a very active food plot. About 9:30 a buck walked out broadside and I could tell he was a shooter so I raised my gun and got on him, safety off and everything. I bleated at him to get him to stop and he looked right at me. When he swung his head around, the left side was waaay outside his ears, but the right side had been broken off probably 4-5 inches off the base. This deer would have been a minimum of 22 inches inside spead and assuming the right side was the same as the left he would have had some great mass and 10 points. I didn't wanna use my buck tag on him so I had to let him walk. Had it looked genetically wrong I would have culled him but the main beam appeared to be broken off so hopefully he spread some of those genes around. Good luck getting back on your deer. I'm anxious to see a pic now.
Old 11-08-2010, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry KS, I have just transferred from active duty to finish out my last year with a National Guard unit, so I guess you could say I was "playing Army" this past weekend and it was all pretty new for me.

After looking back at the photo, he isn't completely identical, but he has that same straight beam; anyone ever have any theories on why they grow like this?
Attached Thumbnails Fish story..... well, DEER story I guess.-pict0033.jpg