Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

High License Fees?

Old 11-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Question High License Fees?

Maybe someone can explain a little to me and others why states charge so much for a non resident hunting license,If I want to hunt in KY. it cost 190.00 to get what I need. With so many deer and everyone wanting them thined out you would think they would encourage neighboring states residents to help out with smaller fees.I know some states are much higher than KY. What are the reasons you have heard on why they charge so much? If it's not greed then what are some reasonable arguments for the high fees. Thanks
Old 11-05-2010, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

As for Illinois............the state is broke.
Charging non residents an arm and leg for tags is a way to make a buck.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:27 PM
Typical Buck

Because they can. If the states see their license revenue go down because people can't (or won't) afford it anymore, maybe they'll think about lowering their rates.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:28 PM
Fork Horn

Illinois makes a fortune charging out of staters to drive on their tollways and now they have cameras recording your license to tie it to the radar recording your speed so they can automatically send you a ticket with no cop involved.
Old 11-05-2010, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by warbirdlover
Illinois makes a fortune charging out of staters to drive on their tollways and now they have cameras recording your license to tie it to the radar recording your speed so they can automatically send you a ticket with no cop involved.
Yeah but you have to remember Illinois spends a fortune prosecuting its Governors.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

Say what you will about Illinois and it won't hurt my feelings. The south end of IL is almost like a separate state. I live south of I-70, so lawmakers don't even realize I exist

I think it's one of those deals where the state knows that nonresidents will buy up our tags every year, no matter how much they cost, just to shoot those "Illinois Monsters." May as well make as much off of them as they can. I couldn't afford to hunt here if I weren't a resident. Heck, they almost doubled the price of our tags this year too. They went from $15 to $25. Our licenses went up too.

It's all a $ game.

rw
Old 11-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Spike

Come on down to tennesse.where your resident tag is $ 136.00 for a sportsman license a year. And a non-resident is $256.0 all game for a year. no reason just is
Old 11-05-2010, 07:37 PM
Typical Buck

The best thing I ever did was buy a lifetime license in Indiana about ten years ago. When I got mine the hunting was 400 and the fishing was 300. $700.00 was a great investment. I don't have to pay for any tags or anything, even the bonus doe tags are included. I have no idea what Indiana charges for non resident fees. Indiana no longer offers a lifetime license and now it cost close to $100 a year if you buy license for archery, firearms, and muzzle loader.
Old 11-05-2010, 07:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hunt12ga
Say what you will about Illinois and it won't hurt my feelings. The south end of IL is almost like a separate state. I live south of I-70, so lawmakers don't even realize I exist

I think it's one of those deals where the state knows that nonresidents will buy up our tags every year, no matter how much they cost, just to shoot those "Illinois Monsters." May as well make as much off of them as they can. I couldn't afford to hunt here if I weren't a resident. Heck, they almost doubled the price of our tags this year too. They went from $15 to $25. Our licenses went up too.

It's all a $ game.

rw
They buy them up and Illinois just keeps seeling them.
In Illinois it isnt about the quality of the deer herd or quality of hunting. They only see it as making money.
Old 11-05-2010, 08:09 PM
Typical Buck

Yeah, it's no secret. I have several friends who make a yearly trip to the magical Pope and Union counties in S Illinois where all the MONSTERS roam. They aren't trophy hunting, just getting away for a while. They usually bring back a doe each year, claiming that most of the deer are basket racks and spikes. There are big deer down there, but I'm guessing most of them are on big leases and hunt clubs. There are just TOO many hunters and TOO much pressure.

They could limit access, but they love the dollars that roll in.

rw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.