Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Never be ashamed

Old 11-06-2010, 03:34 PM
Spike

i agree being in thee woods and watching the wildlife in their natural habitat is what its all about it is my me time and a trophy deer is a well shot and recovered deer you cant eat the horns no matter how long u marrinaid them
Old 11-06-2010, 05:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by WI Bow Hunter

Don't know about you guys, but I can't afford to buy the amount of meat that one deer provides. And with the number/price of extra tags that we get between bow and rifle seasons, it's penny on the pound when it comes down to it, and some of the best eats around.

There is nothing wrong with shooting a small buck or any doe. We might rib guys at deer camp that shoot a 'dog' of a deer but ya know what, I've done it. Did I think it was bigger than it was? Yes. Was I ashamed of it? No. Meat in the freezer.
I cannot agree any more. Every year I rely on the deer meet in my freezer. Sounds bad, but if I see a group of deer, I go for the biggest. I don't let any walk, unless its a doe with a fawn.

Single spike, or big 8pt (they don't get very big here), i take it and be glad god let me have it for my family.

my $.02
Old 11-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Fork Horn

Good post brother and I'm with u.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

great post... I shot a little doe the other day and was kind of regretting taking her because at the time I thought she was a lot bigger. Thanks for makin me realize I should be proud regardless of size
Old 11-08-2010, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

I couldnt have put it better myself, ive been waiting for a post like this haha
Old 11-09-2010, 05:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by RugerM77.270
I just wanted to post this in response to all the thread created about feeling ashamed about shooting a deer, or shooting a "small" or undesireable deer weather by accident or on purpose.

When you decide to take a deer the decision is made and there is no amout of regret that will put your quarry back in the woods so be respectful of your harvest by being happy and proud.

We should not feel remorse or sad about taking a deer we are in the food chain and we gave the deer more times then not a easier end then it would normally have if it had sercum to predators or winter die off. Also, deer are animals of instinct not soulish beings capable of coherient thought. There is not fear or joy just the instinct to eat, breed, and flee.

So once again be respectful of your harvest and be proud because any deer is a good deer.

I have attached a photo of a deer I mistook for a doe in low light last year, when I approached the deer I realized it was a spike I normally would have allowed to walk but since the deed was done I decided to be happy anyway.

I agree with everything but this part. Ever been around captive deer?

Ever see fawns bouncing around playing? That's called joy.

Ever see a deer running wild and bouncing off of a fence to get away from a dog barking through a fence? That's called fear.

I'm sure most of us have dogs. Ever seee your dog wag his tail? What emotion makes him do that?

Ever see a dog cower during a thunderstorm? Why do they do that?

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade but deer and other animals do feel certain emotions even if us superior humans don't always see it that way.

Deer deserve respect as do all animals. Too often we lump them all together as being just stupid, dumb animals. Until you spend some real time with them, you can't appreciate how smaart and emotional they really are.

We all know that dogs have different personalities, well deer do too.

As far as the rest of the thread, it is spot on. You should never be ashamed of the size of a deer you took. If given a choice between a doe and one of her fawns, I shoot a fawn, much better eating. Less meat but better.
Attached Thumbnails Never be ashamed-dscn4380.jpg