Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Help with sighting in H&R slug gun >

Help with sighting in H&R slug gun

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help with sighting in H&R slug gun

Old 11-05-2010, 12:00 PM
Spike

Default Help with sighting in H&R slug gun

Hello all, I just got a 12ga Ultra Slug Hunter by H&R with a Bushnell 1.5X-4.5X32 scope. My question is, should I start off shooting at 25 yards or say 100 yards? I'm using Hornady SST 300gr sabots slugs...which i've never shot before.

Thanks for any and all replies.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:21 PM
Spike

i would get a 5 rd box of cheap foster slugs and sight it in at 25 yards to get on the paper and not waste the sst. then move to 50 and shoot a sst to see where its at. make your adjustments then move to 100 yards get your group and then fire one at 50 yards to see where its at with the sst and a couple at 150 to see where your at. i just did this last year for my hastings barrel and 870 slug gun.
i have the 870mag and my gun barrel hates winchesters xp3 the 2 3/4 ones but 3in it loves. of the 2 3/4 boxes i put through it none would group for me. i went to 3in so it sits a little closer to the barrel and it shoots like a champ now. i finally got my first buck on opening day last year with a one shot from 173yards using the 3 in partition golds. after about $200 worth of slugs it was the only for whatever reason that my picky barrel liked. if your not getting decent groups try another sabot. they have come along way and alot of them are approaching 2000+ fps. so if you are chambered for 3in and the 2 3/4 are not getting you the accuracy you need try one in the 3in and may help you. it was the only thing that worked for me. good luck.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Spike

Thanks Rg97 for the advise. The only question I have is, is it okay to shoot those foster rifled slugs through a rifled barrel?
Old 11-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Don't shoot a rifled slug out of that gun. You will be all over the place with them and will serioulsy foul up the rifiling in that barrel with lead.

Congrats on the gun, though. They are tack drivers. You will have no problem shooting to 150 yards + with that gun once sighted in. Take the gun to a gun shop and have them bore sight it if you can. If not then you buy a box or 2 of the cheapest sabots you can find. I would start with a couple shots at 25 and if your hitting paper I would make my adjustments and then start working your way back. I have the same gun and it is sighted in dead eye nuts at 100 yards. I don't gun hunt so it just sits in my closet. Looks pretty though!
Old 11-06-2010, 02:06 PM
Dominant Buck

I 've got the 870 mag..mine shoots 3 inch groups at 100 yds..I have the Gobble Dot turkey sites ..which helps a ton..best slug gun I've ever had
Old 11-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Southern Illinois Saluki
Hello all, I just got a 12ga Ultra Slug Hunter by H&R with a Bushnell 1.5X-4.5X32 scope. My question is, should I start off shooting at 25 yards or say 100 yards? I'm using Hornady SST 300gr sabots slugs...which i've never shot before.

Thanks for any and all replies.
Good gun, I've got a 20ga Ultra, shot the buck in my avatar at 93 paces with it.

You don't even have to waste any shells getting on paper, just bore site it at 25yds.
Break it open, make sure it's on a steady rest, look through the barrel, look through the scope, adjust as necessary.
Remember that 4 clicks is an inch at a 100 yds, 8 clicks is an inch at 50yds.

I use Lightfields, poi is 2" high at 50 yds, so basically out to 125 yards I hold dead on.

Shoot groups of 3, don't make adjustments on one shot, get a pattern before you make adjustments, use the center of the pattern as the adjustment reference.

Good luck
Old 11-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
Don't shoot a rifled slug out of that gun. You will be all over the place with them and will serioulsy foul up the rifiling in that barrel with lead.

Congrats on the gun, though. They are tack drivers. You will have no problem shooting to 150 yards + with that gun once sighted in. Take the gun to a gun shop and have them bore sight it if you can. If not then you buy a box or 2 of the cheapest sabots you can find. I would start with a couple shots at 25 and if your hitting paper I would make my adjustments and then start working your way back. I have the same gun and it is sighted in dead eye nuts at 100 yards. I don't gun hunt so it just sits in my closet. Looks pretty though!
Yeah. All firearms with rifling in their barrels have been getting seriously fouled up for like 100 years. And they are well known to have very poor accuracy, too.

Last edited by uncle matt; 11-06-2010 at 08:50 PM.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Yeah. All firearms with rifling in their barrels have been getting seriously fouled up for like 100 years. And they are weel known to have very poor accuracy, too.

Well , the rifling on the foster slugs does tend to foul up the rifling in rifled slug barrels.
Old 11-06-2010, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
Yeah. All firearms with rifling in their barrels have been getting seriously fouled up for like 100 years. And they are weel known to have very poor accuracy, too.

Jerk! Ha ha! I should have explained that better. What I was getting at is that I shot some Brenneke rifled slugs through mine once and had some severe metal shavings that took an enternity to get out with a bore snake.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by 2 Lunger
Jerk! Ha ha! I should have explained that better. What I was getting at is that I shot some Brenneke rifled slugs through mine once and had some severe metal shavings that took an enternity to get out with a bore snake.
A bore snake? LOL! I've had turd crumbs a bore snake couldn't take off.

Ain't no problem shooting lead out of a rifled barrel. That is what cleaning brushes and solvents are for.

Brennekes? That's all I shoot out of my USH 12 gauges. 3" Gold Mags and 2-3/4" Heavy Field Mags and accuracy is still top notch. Have been doing it on my oldest one for years. I bought that one when they first came out. (1995 I think?)

And we shoot the 3 incher out of the 20 gauge also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.