Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Muzzleloader question

Old 11-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Spike

I have a CVA WOLF it is the easiest weapon to use (muzzle loader) Easy to clean and light weight. I put the same thing as you do in my weapon as yours, have shot a a button head with it but that is all, have only been hunting 3 years this will be my 4th. It has plenty of UMPH I also have a scope on mine. I have not shot pass 50 yards either, husband said a 150 yards is a little far with 100 grians but can the muzzle laoder handle it and you need to know more pellets more kick, Husband say the recoil for 150 grains will be tremnedous. I shot shot a mossburg shotgun and it had a 3 inch shell in it nearly took my shoulder off it would be if you put 150 grain in it you would be about whee I was, It is a hard kick. Husband said it will go 150 yards with that charge. if it was me I don't think I would do this you don't say where you are. Can you bait? if so I think I would try to bring the deer in closer might save you some pain on the other hand if you only have gamelands you do what you can.

How much did you pay for the weapoN I got mine at basspro shop they had a deal and I got it for $99.

Rhayden
Old 11-06-2010, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lilfawn
I have a CVA WOLF it is the easiest weapon to use (muzzle loader) Easy to clean and light weight. I put the same thing as you do in my weapon as yours, have shot a a button head with it but that is all, have only been hunting 3 years this will be my 4th. It has plenty of UMPH I also have a scope on mine. I have not shot pass 50 yards either, husband said a 150 yards is a little far with 100 grians but can the muzzle laoder handle it and you need to know more pellets more kick, Husband say the recoil for 150 grains will be tremnedous. I shot shot a mossburg shotgun and it had a 3 inch shell in it nearly took my shoulder off it would be if you put 150 grain in it you would be about whee I was, It is a hard kick. Husband said it will go 150 yards with that charge. if it was me I don't think I would do this you don't say where you are. Can you bait? if so I think I would try to bring the deer in closer might save you some pain on the other hand if you only have gamelands you do what you can.

How much did you pay for the weapoN I got mine at basspro shop they had a deal and I got it for $99.

Rhayden
Your husband would be surprised what a 100 grains of T7 can do. Buffalo used to be shot at 200 yards with a 405 grain bullet shot with 70 grains of black powder. Way too many people are caught up in shooting at the max powder their gun can take. Usually not the best for accuracy either.