Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got a question for you guys

Old 11-03-2010, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Default Got a question for you guys

Had a friend call me today say he shot a good 8 point with eyeguards. He said when he shot it deflected off a branch and saw the deer run off 10 feet with its stomach hanging out underneath. He said the deer was just sorta standing there looking around waving his tail for about 10 minutes in the same spot. He then walked off slowly. My friend went over to get his arrow and had blood on his broahead blades but not arrow and had white hair in it and there was some on the floor. He said there was a blood trail but he didnt follow it he said he just went home and was ognna give it a while. He doesnt no about this website or much about computers lol hes a bit technology retarded. My question to you guys is will the deer die? how long will it take to die? how long should he wait to look for it? I feel so bad for him its his first buck
Old 11-03-2010, 08:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

What time of day did he shoot it?
Old 11-03-2010, 08:23 AM
Fork Horn

he shot it at 10am this morning
Old 11-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, it was good of him to know not to track it immediately. My first season, I didn't know better and lost a doe that I know for sure died.

Anyway, if you're talking eastern time, then I'd say 3 hours is enough, so I'd get back in there soon. I'd wait for a consensus from others though. I'm no expert!
Old 11-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Of course, if he just split the belly open but didn't puncture any organs, then the deer could live awhile like that and have a sucky death. I feel bad for your friend too.
Old 11-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

From my son's and my experience, we always seemed to go in too soon. If you shot at 10:00, I'd give him till 3:00 and follow the trail. That'll give you 3 hours of light to find him. Others may wait longer. I just don't like tracking at night, cause with all the leaves down, and it seems every other leaf has that red blotch on it which isn't blood, it's just a harder track. Besides, 5 hours is a pretty good wait. Good luck on getting him.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

im gonna talk to him he said hes gonna go out at 330 cause its gonna rain tmrw, I cant help him look i feel bad I have class
Old 11-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Fork Horn

If he's having trouble, I know in New York, there's a help line for dog trackers like "find-a-deer", whatever. They'll come out at no expense to the hunter cause they get paid by the state, to come out and help him find the deer. Sure, you tip him and your happy as hell for his assistance, but I know a couple of guys who called, showed em where he was shot and the last blood trail, and off went the dog and found him. If it's his 1st one, it'd be worth the call if he loses the trail.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

If the blood trail is heavy and spread out because the deer is laying down thats good. It will be dead in a few hours,if it is light only a drop here and a drop there right off the bat He may be in for a long long hike with the sign nearly impossible to find unless you move very slow to each drop. My blood trail came to an end about 40 yards from where she droped she had no more to shead. Another thing that helped me find my deer after nearly a couple of hours along with the blood trail was heavy laboring hoof prints from where she was geting weaker and draging her hoofs through the leaves. My deer after I bumped her got in a creek bottom the path of least resistance and veared little until she droped. If he knows the area well,like where the bedding areas are there is a good chance it is heading in that direction a place of safety. Don't give up easy and backtrack if you loose the trail you will often pick it back up again.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:31 AM
Spike

Well im my families experience not mine i have never gut shot a deer before but in there opinion you are gonna lose the blood trail eventually and when that happens the guts will have filled in the wound at that point from what i am told the deer has about another 2 to 3 hours of life it was good of him not to track it immediately has he probably would have ran all over the place to get it and then he would have to look for it as the blood trail would have stopped gut shot deer usually die a very slow painful death and for future reference i would advice your friend never to take a shot like that again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.