Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Got a question for you guys

Old 11-03-2010, 11:32 AM
Spike

I am not saying that this will never happen to me but i will avoid it like the plaque.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Fork Horn

I helped a guy one night and we actually trailed by pieces of intestine when the blood stopped. We let her lay for a couple hours and then pushed her for about 6 more. She never left a half square mile, just kept circling. We jumped her a few times before we got close enough to finish her. The guy that shot her wanted to give up the search but I refused to leave her with her guts hanging out still alive for the coyotes to get ahold of. Mistakes happen just learn from them when you can.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:40 PM
Fork Horn

find it? hope so
Old 11-04-2010, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

If it were me, I would have tried to get another arrow in the deer. Sounds like it did not go that far right after the shot.

The deer is definitely dead if its insides were hanging out as reported. Hopefully an easy recovery. If it gets tricky, be sure to check all nearby sources of water.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

I had a similar incident last season. Shot a doe little too far back and at the angle it split her stomach. Had a very weak trail so called a more experience buddy and he helped. He went to where they bed and found her trail. Along there found really good blood where she laid down. We eventually found her still alive. I had to put another arrow in her but we recovered it. My buddy drug it out while I went back for my gear. He joked with me later ... "you want me to eat it for you too"
Old 11-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by SavageArms
Well im my families experience not mine i have never gut shot a deer before but in there opinion you are gonna lose the blood trail eventually and when that happens the guts will have filled in the wound at that point from what i am told the deer has about another 2 to 3 hours of life it was good of him not to track it immediately has he probably would have ran all over the place to get it and then he would have to look for it as the blood trail would have stopped gut shot deer usually die a very slow painful death and for future reference i would advice your friend never to take a shot like that again.

Thanks MOM !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He said it was a limb, Who among us has not seen the smallest of limbs in our arrow path ??????????

Old 11-06-2010, 06:38 AM
Spike

i had a bad shot this year and i waited almost (8:15-2:30) 7 hrs b4 tracking him... he only ended up going about 200 yrds and found him bedded. put the finishing arrow in him.