Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Freezing ticks

Old 11-03-2010, 06:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default Freezing ticks

Where I hunt there are a lot of ticks this year. Does anyone think that what I am doing to try to keep the little buggers out of the house will work?

When I get home from a hunt my clothes immediately go into a bag and into the freezer for a couple of days. I'm thinking that the extended deep cold will kill any ticks that I have hanging on. Will it work?....don't know, but at least they aren't free roaming around the house.

Mitch
Old 11-03-2010, 06:50 AM
Spike

Hmmm.. There shouldn't be any ticks out during this time of the year. At least in Wisconsin there's not. Not sure what the forecast is like in VA. Fire will definitely extinguish these little leachers but I am not entirely sure about the deep freeze method (probably have a method to survive the cold winters?).

I usually wash my clothes and usually anything living within my clothes dies off. Learned my lesson a few years ago.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:54 AM
Fork Horn

Mitch -

A few days in a deep freeze should do the trick!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

I'm not so sure. they seem to winter well outside in the northeast. I guess snow cover protects them from freezing hard and dying. They dont seem to have too much of a problem with them in canada, so maybe it would kill them.

I hope you let them thaw out before you put em back on!!!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:17 AM
Spike

yep a few days in the freezer will do em in
Old 11-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I always believed that tics are not active in the winter until I read a study by Ball State University on the tics native to Indiana. That study says they are active all winter long but not like during the spring summer or fall. They are not as active and do not have grass and thick weeds to climb on to but they stay pretty much on the ground under the layers of fallen leaves brush and other compose. Another myth according to them which is not true is that tics leap onto you from trees and tall bushes. They climb onto tall grass and other cover and when you brush by they hitch a ride. I don't spray my hunting cloths during the late fall or winter but I still check over everything when I get home outside on the back patio area.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

There are still plenty of very small ticks that are smaller than a match head and we have had numerous mornings of a hard frost.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:50 PM
Typical Buck

I hunt in Northern Virginia and haven't seen a tick since September.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Spike

im in southern VA and can also second stonewalls statement, no tics to be found here, i think they just kinda like go dormant or somthing
Old 11-03-2010, 03:24 PM
Fork Horn

I found one crawling on me during my drive home last evening. They are always thick at AP Hill where I was hunting. Kind of disgusting when you skin a deer with dozens of ticks on him.

Mitch

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.