HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Opinions on 2010 rut being the latest we may have ever seen (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/333257-opinions-2010-rut-being-latest-we-may-have-ever-seen.html)

Thunderchicken217 11-02-2010 05:32 PM

Opinions on 2010 rut being the latest we may have ever seen

I have only really been paying attention to the moon and its effects on rut timing the last several years. We all know Charles Alsheimer and his predictions. Well here in MD he has been pretty much spot on the last 3 yrs that I have been observing his predictions. With the full or rutting moon being on Noember 21st this year it will be the latest for decades to come. I have also noticed very little rubbing and scraping activity in ares that have been fool proof for the last 20yrs for me. I can not do anything but assume the man is correct again predicting primetime may not be until Thanksgiving week or later. I was just interested in everyone elses personal opinions and what you may be experiencing this season.

ek_buckmaster 11-02-2010 05:53 PM

I have to disagree. Here in WI the chasing phase is picking up rapidly and within the next week or so the deer should be breeding. Also one counter argument to the moon phase theory... If the rut is based on the moon phase, why is it that the peak of the rut across the US is different from one region to another? Isn't the moon phase across the country the same no matter where you are at? I think it mostly has to do with weather and temperature, not the moon phases.

Thunderchicken217 11-02-2010 06:02 PM

Hey thats a great argument and hadn't really thought about it like that. Maybe its just an unfortunate year for me here. I seen several nice bucks the 1st week of October this year which never happens but just haven't seen the rubbing in particular I normmally do by now and the bucks seem to have disappeared. Also wanted to say thanks for the response as I am new to starting threads and usually dont get much feedback and was getting discourage. thanks again and good luck to you this season.

finley31 11-02-2010 06:03 PM

I have to agree with buckmaster in that I have seen unusually early rut activity here in WV this year. I have seen bucks chasing pretty hard since last week, this past weekend in particular. We also started having some frosty mornings around this same time period...

eureka77 11-02-2010 06:10 PM

Hey friend, I'd have to agree with Buckmaster aswell. I'm seeing the chasing and rutting activity from not just the young bucks but mature aswell right on cue. around Nov. 6th here in central NC. Hope ya start to see activity soon and good luck.

Duckbutter48 11-02-2010 06:10 PM

Problem is that you have those city deer near Frederick....they are always a bit slower then usual.

They have started chasing in the eastern panhandle around me.

Maddog10 11-02-2010 06:18 PM

I think it seems to be right on schedule this year so far in KY... A buddy of mine killed a nice 9 pointer yesterday and he said with most of the deer he saw, you could tell the does were kind of getting their attention but they weren't really chasing them yet. We've been seeing a lot of movement here so far as well. I think we're in for a good year! I hope so at least. I'd say the rut should be in full swing during gun season.

Patrick Eubanks 11-03-2010 01:48 AM

Deer here in NC are kicking in now on the early does.

BAD BAJA 11-03-2010 02:48 AM

In WNY it was spot on Moon phase last year and it has been very, very slow this year!!!

timbercruiser 11-03-2010 04:45 AM

I don't think the moon has anything to do with the rut. Like ek buckmaster said, deer rut at different times across the country. They won't kick in to the rut in south Alabama till mid January.