HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Best Eating Size Deer (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/333208-best-eating-size-deer.html)

doetrain 11-02-2010 07:55 AM

Best Eating Size Deer

What age and weight Does and Bucks offer the best eating?

deerhunt3r94 11-02-2010 08:07 AM

ive have always been told/heard/read thats the younger the deer, the better the meat in, so technically a fawn would be the best deer to eat, and i have also heard that the older deer, like ones that make to 6+ years old, there meat starts getting real tough

BarnesX.308 11-02-2010 08:48 AM

I've had my best venison from a 3.5 yo buck - pre-rut.

Fawns have no meat on them.

lovethebigguns 11-02-2010 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by deerhunt3r94 (Post 3713659)
ive have always been told/heard/read thats the younger the deer, the better the meat in, so technically a fawn would be the best deer to eat, and i have also heard that the older deer, like ones that make to 6+ years old, there meat starts getting real tough

That's definitely my experience as well and do my own processing and I cook A LOT of deer meat.

Some may disagree with this tactic, but I try really hard in early bow season to take a yearling just for the tender roasts, steaks and of course back straps. Cook a roast from a yearling in the croc pot all day with some taters and carrots and you will have to use a spoon to get that meat out of there!!!

Then if I am lucky enough to take a nice big doe later I will grind the entire deer up (minus backstraps) into burger.

For the most part, I'm sure that most of us have the ultimate goal in mind of taking a nice big fat-necked buck during the rut.
Again from over 20 years of experience, that will be the worst, stickin-ist meat you have ever eaten! We will still eat it, but I will typically use that meat for summer sausage, jerky and for recipies where there are enough spices to cover up the taste like chili and things of that nature.

Hope that helps!

skb2706 11-02-2010 09:07 AM

Think veal............since no mention of the quantity I'd go with the smallest youngest one as being the best to eat.

BillBrasky 11-02-2010 10:10 AM

Generally, the rule is that the less the muscle is used, the more mild and tender it will be. That being said, a fawn should taste the best overall and the backstraps/tenderloin just in front of the back legs from any animal should be the most tender (meat just under the shoulder blade is good too, if you can get to it). But I wonder, is the brisket off of a big pre-rut buck any good?

7.62NATO 11-02-2010 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by deerhunt3r94 (Post 3713659)
ive have always been told/heard/read thats the younger the deer, the better the meat in, so technically a fawn would be the best deer to eat...

Well, the youngest deer I have found have been inside a late December doe's belly! I guess I wasn't thinking about it and was a little surprised by the...surprises inside momma!

And no, I didn't eat them. If anything, I felt a little bad when I discovered them. But it was during a population control hunt, so I guess I did well, lol.

deerhunt3r94 11-02-2010 10:51 AM

yea you got a 2 for the price of 1 deal, ahha

blackhawk_archery 11-02-2010 12:31 PM

I prefer at least a 2 year old deer,I have friend that will shoot fawns myself I wouldn't waste the time dragging a deer the size of a coyote out of the woods,that and I have a heart so its tough on me to kill a baby deer or a baby anything of that matter,but that is your choice you pay for the permit you have the right to kill what you want,all deer meat taste good to me.

Backwoods7 11-02-2010 12:40 PM

Usually I'll take one doe between 90 and 110lbs for meat there the best eaters I've seen.