HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Whitetail Deer Hunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting-4/)
-   -   Any Second Thoughts (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/whitetail-deer-hunting/333203-any-second-thoughts.html)

30-30 Savage 11-02-2010 06:33 AM

Any Second Thoughts

i never had had any but most of you are older and more experienced but have any of you had second thoughts on shooting a deer
like say its a doe with fawns or a young buck or idk just tell me if ya do

jrbsr 11-02-2010 07:05 AM

There’s no way that I would ever shoot, an animal that had babies.
Just the thought of animal babies, dyeing from starvation, is not ethical at all.

JMHO

stabnslab_WI 11-02-2010 07:12 AM

I felt really bad when I was 12 and shot at a button buck thinking it was a nice doe. My father said it happens but you have to look at skull very carefully. Haven't taken a fawn or button buck since. I think about it a lot and get discusted when I see fawns on back of trucks. Sure they are good eating but there is no spot shooting something that you can almost hand feed IMO.

Ohboy 11-02-2010 07:40 AM

i always let small bucks walk and defentily always let a doe with fawn/fawns walk. now if there is a group of does and fawns, i will pick out a big doe and watch it and make sure no fawn is following it before i shoot. but i dont need meat that bad where i need to kill a fawn or the mother. and go figure every doe i have seen this year has a fawn or 2 with her.

blackhawk_archery 11-02-2010 07:49 AM

I cant stand shooting young deer have had it happen twice and it sucks,here in Illinois by the time hunting season comes in the fawns are big enough to survive on there own if the mother is killed.

doetrain 11-02-2010 08:08 AM

I likewise will let the ones with fawns walk unless they keep busting me and then well they might have to die. I'm resisting shooting Bucks smaller than my first harvest last year a 7 pointer but if I have trouble geting one near the end of the season I will reconsider all 6 or 7 pointers as possible meat harvest unless the does are still around.

kyslayer 11-02-2010 08:22 AM

usely by the time its season in ky the fawns can survive without the mother so thats not really a problem but i never take small bucks or fawns, although i have a friend who kinda strictly hunts small deer for the taste. Im not like that tho

ADVWannabee 11-02-2010 09:59 AM

I have read a couple threads hear that fawns will survive without their mother and female fawns can and will breed at the age of 7 months. I have no idea if that is true, just what I have seen here.

I will take a doe if the young ones are decent size.

pearsontx4 11-02-2010 11:27 AM

yea i wish i didn't shoot the buck i shot this year low light and i would have swore that it was the buck i was hunting in that area witch was about 115 inchs bigger then what this buck was but i can't do anything about it now so he will make up some good steaks roasts and burger but since i made a mistake it cost me the rest of the season to hunt but o well.