Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is this a penned deer?

Old 11-02-2010, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Pro-Line
I have a friend that raises deer. He's got some absolute whoppers. He normally cuts the racks completely off the bigger bucks that he does not intend to sell that year. This year he had a typical 10pt that scored 160". It was gored by a small 4pt a couple weeks ago and died.

That's abotu $3k down the crapper for him.

I asked him and he's never "trimmed" antlers before...just cuts them off. His deer are like dogs for 8 months out of the year. From the time the velvet comes off until they drop, they are as unpredictable as any wild animal.

On a side note...you'd be surprised if you heard some of the places that he's sold deer to. He said that it's not unusual for him to open a magazine and see someone holding a buck that they shot...and the buck was running around one of his pens just a few months before. Damn shame, but he makes a nice chunk of change at it.

I'll bet it happens more that you think..Real Men,,Real Hunters..
Old 11-03-2010, 11:25 AM
Fork Horn

Well, if you see him in the woods, talk to him, say "Come er, c'mon, ya hungry, c'mon". I did that to a doe that stood up not 50 yards from my stand. She shook off the snow, looked at me for about 5 minutes, then started walking toward me. Jeez, I took off my backpack, put down the gun, and got out a package of cookies. She's now 25 yds, and walking slowly toward me. "Come on, come on, are ya hungry?, here ya go. The doe walked about 10 yards away from me. I thought about it, but undid the cookies and said, "Here, I'll place them on the ground, and you eat." I packed up and walked to my stand. She walked right behind me when I left, had her meal, stayed around for 5 more minutes and walked away. I'll bet if I held out those cookies, she would of ate right out of my hand, and if she did, I might of gave up the sport right then and there. I know she was probably being fed by some of the houses along our road, but she knew when I talked to her, it was time to eat. Maybe it's time to eat for your penned in guy.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Not at all! Check out this photo, its almost the same, it seems as if the antlers have been cut.

I think its the combination of the slower shutter speed and a little bit of movement. Looks like to me you have a heck of a deer there!
Attached Thumbnails Is this a penned deer?-pict0018-copy.jpg  
Old 11-03-2010, 03:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

The reason i believe it would be unethical is because of the nature the deer has with humans. They do not have fear...and our used to human interaction and being fed by humans...if he is indeed a pen raised deer. To shoot him wouldnt be sporting by any means?
Old 11-04-2010, 06:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

can you go ask the game farm people if they cut antlers like this? that seems a good way to be 100 percent sure
Old 11-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Spike

I really think this is just like the above, a slow shutter speed.

That being said, I'd wait to shoot him until you talk to the farm. Some of them offer some SERIOUS rewards for bucks that get loose. We had a farm around here recently offereing a 100k reward after someone trespassed on their property and shot a trophy buck breeder. 100 THOUSAND DOLLARS.
Old 11-05-2010, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Rowdyhntr0411
I really think this is just like the above, a slow shutter speed.

That being said, I'd wait to shoot him until you talk to the farm. Some of them offer some SERIOUS rewards for bucks that get loose. We had a farm around here recently offereing a 100k reward after someone trespassed on their property and shot a trophy buck breeder. 100 THOUSAND DOLLARS.
Was that $100K for the head of the buck or the poacher?