Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
SC 8 Point with Kickers  (Long Read) >

SC 8 Point with Kickers (Long Read)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SC 8 Point with Kickers (Long Read)

Old 11-01-2010, 10:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default SC 8 Point with Kickers (Long Read)

I haven't posted on here in a while but I thought I would share my first real buck!

8 Point with two kickers. May end up scoring as a 9. 158 lbs.

I scouted last year and found 2 sheds in a nice open area in the woods. I decided to set up a blind about 30 yards away. I hunted bow season and had numerous pics of this deer on the corn pile. He was coming like clockwork. During the last week of bow season, I sat until 10:55AM. I said "well, he's not coming today." So, I got out of the blind and went to my camera and pulled the card. I went to my truck and copied the pics off and went back to my camera. I got about 30 yards from the corn pile and he was standing there. He had velvet hanging since he just shed a day before. I was sick to my stomach. I had no clear shot on him at all. I got on the ground and crawled on my stomach. Every 3 feet I crawled, he would look up. He couldn't see nor smell me since the wind was in my favor. I tried crawling for 15 minutes until he finally wandered off into the woods. I just knew that was the last time I would see him.

I checked the camera Tuesday, the 26th at lunch and I saw where he came out at 3:00 in the afternoon on the 25th. I came back at 5:15PM on Tuesday and sat as usual. At 6:50PM, I saw a deer walk out into my clear cut... I thought he was a two pointer at first. I put the binoculars on him and I then realized which deer it was. I gave him no time to scent me. I put the scope on him and dropped the hammer. He hit the ground and a split second later, he ran off about 35 yards. I finally found the deer an hour later with the assistance of some friends.

After shooting the deer, I realized that one of the sheds I found belonged to him. So, the article that I read about hunting where you find sheds worked for me. I ended up killing him 10 feet from where his shed was found in March.