Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Great yet frustrating hunting morning.....

Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default Great yet frustrating hunting morning.....

Went out this morning the temperature finally dropped after being an odd 70 degrees all last week. Got in my stand an hour before light...First crack of light had a small buck behind me, then saw a doe come in 15 yards away. Rite behind her a MASSIVE 8 pointer came in running after her he was no more then 15 yards away at one point. I Drew back on my bow and couldnt pick him up with my pin I let down looked at him then I drew back two other times and still couldnt see him in my pin it was still to dark . The doe then takes off running and he flies after her. I felt like crying but wasnt about to wing a shot at him and risk wounding him or missing him. Seconds later a small spike comes by. Then a doe 5 minutes later, then two small bucks chasing after the doe a 4 point and a spike. There was bucks everywhere I just cudnt help but keep thinking why couldnt this be the big 8 point its light enough now. If the 8 point had come in 5 to 10 minutes later there is no doubt i could have got him it was plenty light. Needless to say Im a little disgusted rite now but will be back out tonight to sit in that stand hoping she brings him close one more time
Old 11-01-2010, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

sorry bout your luck hopefully it turns around for ya tonight!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:26 AM
Typical Buck

Tough break, but I seriously commend your integrity.

Not enough folks have the same level of discipline!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I can feel your frustration. But at least you had a ton of deer activity, right under your nose! I didn't see squat when I went out on Saturday.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:14 PM
Fork Horn

Like mentioned, you've had a lot of activity. That means a LOT.

I sat out for 6 hours on Sat, and could hear deer crashing all around me.
Couldn't see good because the leaves havent fallen here yet, but I could tell a
buck was chasing some does around. Every now and then, I'd see a flash zip between
two trees. I did some soft bleats, and could get some deer up fairly close,
then they'd just turn back, but would'nt run off.
I was having a heck of a good time.
Right at legal light, I had several does come in to view, and a little fork horn.
I aimed at the largest doe, and "pap!". Misfire.
They all just stood there and looked around.
I fumbled around in my shirt pocket for another 209, but they just calmly walked off.
Had to laugh at myself.
Been hunting for 30 years, and had a misfire, because I forgot to "run a primer through"
after cleaning it.