Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Stinking Up a Stand

Old 11-01-2010, 05:31 AM
Fork Horn

Default Stinking Up a Stand

i took a break from hunting sunday and decided to do a little scouting and hang a new stand for the next couple of weekends. i found a great spot in a thickit overlooking a heavily rubbed creak bottom . there are many trails crossing down through it. i chose a tree and hunt a lockon. i was sweating prety heavy by teh time i was done. i trimmed a few limbs and i also cut me a trail about 80 yards thrugh the thickit so that i can get in quick and quiet and on the downwind side of the creek. i feel like with all the noise and limbing that i might have stunk up the area and run some deer out. note i do wear knee high rubber boots and is very scent savy. they are calling for rain wed and thursday so that will freshen everything up.

do you guys think i have soiled this area for next weekend and lost me element of suprise? there are some nice bucks using this are......
Old 11-01-2010, 05:50 AM
Spike

you should be fine, I hung a stand earlier in the season and hunted it 4 days later. I had bucks on camera by that stand 2 days after i hung it.
Old 11-01-2010, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Ive done the same in early afternoon and hunted it later that night and been fine, its more a matter of where that sweat goes... I.E., if it touches any of the equipment, using gloves usually negates that for me, as that is usually the only thing that touches. IMHO, you should be fine within a couple days...

Scent is a weird thing; I have hung trail cameras that have sat in my spare bedroom for months and had deer show up on it within hours, other times, I haven't seen any for days. I try not to put too much into the scent I leave and more into what I can do to try and control the scent I can.
Old 11-01-2010, 09:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

we took a dozer through the woods and made a 20 foot wide by 281 yards long lane....tracks all over the thing the next day
Old 11-01-2010, 12:23 PM
Spike

I worked on food plots last weekend and i have a hand seeder and had to walk in the food plot and cut some new lanes also. had a cam. out and the same day had 8 diff deer on it and some turkeys also.. Rain will help alot to.