Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Anybody have to look away as their deer dies? >

Anybody have to look away as their deer dies?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anybody have to look away as their deer dies?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

Default Anybody have to look away as their deer dies?

Don't get me wrong, I love hunting and nothing makes me more happy than filling up the freezer each winter. I have shot numerous deer and luckily most of them have dropped right in their tracks and died or only made it a short distance and died quickly. A couple years ago however I shot a buck, and while he dropped right in his tracks, it took him probably two minutes to fully die. I put a good shot on him but it just took a little while. For those two minutes though he kicked and whined and I couldn't help but feel sorry for him. Like I said before, i love hunting and my conscience hasn't stopped me from it yet, but out of respect for the animal I sometimes have to look away as they die. Just wondering if anyone else feels this way or if I'm a loner? lol...

Last edited by Maddog10; 10-31-2010 at 10:00 PM.
Old 10-31-2010, 09:58 PM
Fork Horn

If its taking to long to die..shoot it again.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:07 PM
Fork Horn

Yea normally I would but this buck was behing a pretty good size stump so I really didn't have another shot at him... I mean it's not like I sit in my stand crying over the deer I just shot, and normally my adrenaline is enough for me to not even feel bad at the time. I mainly notice it when watching hunting shows or something like that. I was watching one earlier and two bucks were sparring and then the guy shot one. It looked like a spine shot to me because the deer was squirming around and the other buck just kept attacking it and gouging it with his tines. Honestly I couldn't believe they were showing it on tv... Idk, just wanted to see how you guys felt on the subject. It definitely won't keep me from shooting a deer, but I undoubtedly have a soft spot for them.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:24 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a deer, that moved, in the spine once. I still feel ba about it. It was a horrible sight, and I had to get out of the stand and walk over to kill it.

Nothing wrong with being humane and having a sense of remorse and compassion for a suffering animal. It's what makes us human.
Old 10-31-2010, 10:25 PM
Typical Buck

Are you kidding me? Are you saying that you cannot bare to fully experience the consequences of your actions? How can looking away be thought of as respect for the animal you just killed? As mohunter09 stated there might be a need for a second shot to end unneeded suffering. I think it is the hunters responsibility to make sure the animal is killed quickly, cleanly, with as little suffering as possible. I watch to make sure this is accomplished and I don't look away because of my respect for the animal. It is my duty to see it through to the end.
Live it up! Doug
Old 10-31-2010, 11:04 PM
Fork Horn

I figured I would get more responses like yours kswild, honestly. I agree that we are responsible for making it a clean and quick death, and luckily I have been fortunate. Really it was just the sounds of the deer that bothered me. Like I said, it only lived for a minute or maybe two at the most, and I knew I put a really good shot on him and he was in a position where I couldn't shoot him again. At that point I had done all I could do. All that was left to do was to watch him die. I agree that it is part of the experience, and it is definitely needed to get the full experience of harvesting an animal... It's just not my favorite part I guess.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Maddog10
I figured I would get more responses like yours kswild, honestly. I agree that we are responsible for making it a clean and quick death, and luckily I have been fortunate. Really it was just the sounds of the deer that bothered me. Like I said, it only lived for a minute or maybe two at the most, and I knew I put a really good shot on him and he was in a position where I couldn't shoot him again. At that point I had done all I could do. All that was left to do was to watch him die. I agree that it is part of the experience, and it is definitely needed to get the full experience of harvesting an animal... It's just not my favorite part I guess.
I just wanted to make sure you know that I'm not putting you down for what you feel. Undoubtedly I will get flamed for being kinda harsh but really I'm just seasoned to the fact that such is life and death. If I cause the death of an animal I want to see it through and celebrate the life giving meat of the harvest that this animal provides. I just feel I owe the animal that. I not saying that you should like that part of it. Having compassion for the animals you hunt is a good thing. Have a good season!
Live it up! Doug
Old 11-01-2010, 03:36 AM
Fork Horn

shoot it agian.
Old 11-01-2010, 07:29 AM
Typical Buck

I don't necessarily turn my head, but I'll admit, I CAN'T STAND to see em suffer. I too spine shot one once and as soon as I noticed it I got down as fast as I could and cut her throat.

This is one of the big reasons why I practice, practice, practice. I want to know that anytime I sqeeze the trigger on "one of my favorites" listed in my signature, the bullet/arrow is gonna hit right on the mark for a clean, quick kill.

Unfortunately in this sport, $HIT happens sometimes, so that 2nd shot is necessary!
IMHO, there's nothing wrong with a little soft spot for not wanting to see an animal suffer!
Old 11-01-2010, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nope I don't have to look away.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.