Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Anybody have to look away as their deer dies? >

Anybody have to look away as their deer dies?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Anybody have to look away as their deer dies?

Old 11-01-2010, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kswild
I just wanted to make sure you know that I'm not putting you down for what you feel. Undoubtedly I will get flamed for being kinda harsh but really I'm just seasoned to the fact that such is life and death. If I cause the death of an animal I want to see it through and celebrate the life giving meat of the harvest that this animal provides. I just feel I owe the animal that. I not saying that you should like that part of it. Having compassion for the animals you hunt is a good thing. Have a good season!
Live it up! Doug
what an arse
Old 11-01-2010, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I watched my first deer buckle at the knees as he tried to get up but could not then layed his head down and died. I had compassion toward him but I was glad he went quick and right there 60 to 70 yards away. My doe this weekend took longer because I took a tough shot and she went 400 yards before bleeding out. My consolation was that I had success in tracking her and that she did not lay rotting somewhere in a ditch for the vultures or yotes. Caring about living creatures is a virtue not a vise but as Doug said and others put another arrow in it to end that prolonged period of death. I tried to get another arrow in mine but when I bumbed her I had no shot and had to back out for another hour or so. It was tough seeing the buck that was chasing her standing over the top of her when I found her. And add to that the fact that she died within 25 or so feet of where my buck died last year. Now on to the next doe hunt and a better shot this week. Good Hunting To Ya!
Old 11-01-2010, 11:18 AM
Fork Horn

I've shot close to two dozen deer and only one did I have to walk away. I spined a doe and seriously thought she was dead. When i walked up I saw the eye following me and tiny movement. I was archery hunting so i put one in her vitals at point blank range. As soon as I released the arrow and knew it hit home I turned and walked my gear to my truck and came back 20min later. I still feel awful about that eye following me
Old 11-01-2010, 11:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I don't look away unless i have to get down from my tree so i can finish the deer off. I have had to do a few times over the years. I can't stand to not look, honestly. I want to make sure that deer is down and not getting up. Losing a deer from pushing it is the worst.

It sucks to see them kick around in pain if they are dying a slow death, but like others said; if that is the case the hunter needs to finish the deer off asap.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:48 AM
bigcountry

No, doubt, I feel a touch of sadness every time. God help the soul who doesn't. Its normal, and I believe its healthy. Those who don't, well keep your children away from them. Mentally they cannot be trusted and probably shouldn't be allowed hunting. Same as Jeffery Dahmer, these folks are akin to those who get off brutalizing dogs and cats.

Even pope and young, wrote in thier journals as they downed a lion, "we felt a touch of sadness as such a magnificent animal dies".

Last edited by bigcountry; 11-01-2010 at 11:51 AM.

Old 11-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Typical Buck

Maddog, one thing just about everyone here has in common is their passion for the hunt. Just about everyone here has seen the good and the bad and has made their share of mistakes. The only thing that differs most of the time is their opinion of a successful hunt and kill. To some, killing a deer and taking it to the processor is enough to justify a good, complete hunt. To others, the hunt isn't complete until they hang it and process everything themselves. Likewise, turning away from a dying deer is showing respect while watching the result of their shot to the end is showing respect.

For the record, I turn away if the deer is within sight and I know my shot was good and I don't need to finish the job. I personally would rather pass without an audience so that's how I treat anything I harvest except turkeys, I do run them down and put a well-placed foot on their neck to end them quickly if needed.

Last edited by Beezer; 11-01-2010 at 12:33 PM.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

For many years I carried a small 5 shot .22 pistol and used it a bunch of times to finish off a deer.
Old 11-01-2010, 03:55 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Had a deer get hit by a car out in front of my house one night around 10pm. I happened to be coming up the street when it happened. The back was broken and it dragged itself off the road and into the tall grass ( there is a wildlife easement next to my driveway) I called the police and they said they would have someone come "dispatch" it.....45 minutes later nobody had shown so I called back to tell them to forget it, I would do it myself. Oddly enough they had somebody show up just as I was putting an arrow thru it's lungs. Next time I won't even call. Last year, while hunting my buddy shot a doe and I went his way to help track it. When we found it it was still breathing. He didn't want to do it so I cut the throat. Not great, but necessary. Way back when I started hunting a coworker told me abotu shooting a young doe on a shotgun hunt and hitting it far back. He said it started crying out and wailing. He was a really callous old guy but I could tell that it bothered him.
Old 11-01-2010, 04:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by halfbakedi420
what an arse
Au contraire, mon frère... arse-****. x2

=================================

Seems natural to me to have some sort of sadness inside when an animal dies. I've killed many animals in the last 35 years, starting from a little kid, and as I matured, I realized my respect for life has grown too. So when a kill doesn't happen as quick as it should, I'll do what I can to get it done and I won't be shamed into feeling those ways.

iSnipe
Old 11-01-2010, 05:20 PM
Fork Horn

See that's how I was with my deer Beezer. I knew I put a really good shot on him and that an additional shot wouldn't be needed. I mean the deer dropped right in it's tracks and it wasn't a spine shot. I didn't want to get down from my stand and push the deer so I just waited about 30 minutes and let him die, but it was difficult to watch him wheeze and whine like that for about a minute. I mean even if I had gotten down from my stand he would have died by the time I made it to him, but I couldn't help but feel bad for him... With that being said, I'm still gonna bust the next big buck that walks by and not think twice about it lol. My goal is to just make a well placed shot and make the death as quick and painless as possible. Like kswild said, I feel like that is our responsibility as a hunter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.